Recovery time from faster running?

4 watchers
Apr 2013
5:10pm, 13 Apr 2013
5,564 posts
  •  
Sombrero
Hola.

I've just started doing one speedy session a week as I'm looking to get sub-20 at 5K this summer...

On my first week, I did mile intervals: splits were 8:31 / 6:31 / 8:05 / 6:39. My long run that weekend was hard, tops of my legs ached after around 8-9 miles even though the first 5 miles were at really easy pace.

This is week two, I did a 4 mile run on Tuesday with a 6:04 mile in the middle. Lung busting!! I didn't manage to run again before today's long run which was 11 miles. I ached again at the top of my legs after just a few miles. It was never going to be an issue doing the mileage, it just felt harder than it should have.

How long does it take for the body to adapt to a bit of speedwork? I'm planning on doing one session a week, either the fast mile or mile intervals.

Long runs are my favourite so I don't want to give them up.

Any thoughts, oh athletes of fetch?
Apr 2013
5:14pm, 13 Apr 2013
10,089 posts
  •  
paul a
Overnight should do it.
PQ
Apr 2013
5:18pm, 13 Apr 2013
5,036 posts
  •  
PQ
I usually do a slow shortish run the day after intervals (or have a rest day) and am usually ok then the following day.
Apr 2013
5:25pm, 13 Apr 2013
5,567 posts
  •  
Sombrero
I've got a lot on at work, maybe I'm just a bit more tired than usual.

It has also been recommended that I eat more cake.
PQ
Apr 2013
5:31pm, 13 Apr 2013
5,037 posts
  •  
PQ
Intervals do take a lot out of you. I usually need a nap after mine. But I am getting on a bit..
SPR
Apr 2013
5:36pm, 13 Apr 2013
18,269 posts
  •  
SPR
There's a good recovery matrix at the bottom of this link: teamoregon.com

I would say it would usually take about 48 hours, so concur with PQ

Given you haven't been doing speed work before, your body will take time to get used to it as it's a new shock. How long? Not sure, but you may be wiser to build up to what you want to do rather than go straight in at max. The other question is if you've got the base/foundation to tolerate regular race pace work.

The mile reps (at 5k pace?) should probably have a static recovery or short slow jog rather than a mile.

The fast mile could be done as a progressive run where you gradually ramp up the speed but are not forcing the pace.

I think there are better 5k specific session than what you are doing. Eg 5 x 1km with 90 sec recovery.
Apr 2013
5:37pm, 13 Apr 2013
1,121 posts
  •  
Marchbanks
Id say two to three weeks. Look into doing 400 and 800m repeats though for 5k
Apr 2013
8:56pm, 13 Apr 2013
15,724 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
There is a balance to this. If it is taking you days to recover, then you are missing other training and possibly going too fast.
Some of it is because the session is new, and it will get easier, but consider dropping the pace and doing more, but slower.

How did you work out your pace? Intervals are not as fast as you can manage, they should be a little slower than that. Miles are long too, I do 1200m max.
Apr 2013
8:59pm, 13 Apr 2013
5,416 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
You probably need a couple of days between hard sessions (and I class long runs as hard sessions even if they are easy as they bring different stresses)

I have run long on a sunday maybe 5 times this year after a parkrun or 10k and no doubt the long run is harder as a result.

Under normal circumstances I would be looking for harder efforts to be sat Tue & Thu/Fri and long run on a sunday

Over time the body will adapt, but generally an easy day the day after a harder run is most sensible.
Apr 2013
9:00pm, 13 Apr 2013
50,932 posts
  •  
Gobi
Doesn't sound like you are training enough to need intervals

About This Thread

Maintained by Sombrero
Hola.

I've just started doing one speedy session a week as I'm looking to get sub-20 at 5K this...