Recovery time after a hard run?+ Foot pain.

1 watcher
Jan 2013
1:59pm, 14 Jan 2013
236 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Don't know if I'm being impatient, or if I might be injured?!
I know everyone is different, but how long does it take to recover from a long/hard run?

I ran the Hardmoors 30 on New Years Day. the first 20 miles was fine, then I started struggling with pain in both knees and hips. I finished at a shuffle.
Today, I went for my first proper run since (so 13 days) and by 2 miles I was hurting, hips and knees. Also, the soles of my feet felt bruised after the race, really painful and today, my left foot still hurts following my run. I did 4.5 miles, on road in my most cushiony shoes.
Since the race I have eaten like a horse! Done core work, yoga, a little walking and a little horse riding. And lots of rest in between!

I wonder perhaps the Ultra was done on insufficient base fitness, but at the same time, this isn't muscle pain and doesn't feel like anything has been pulled as such. The hip pain, well, I always get a certain amount of hip pain depending on how far or how fast I go. Even a long walk can make them ache. I've found a set of exercises to help strengthen the muscles surrounding the joint, but it too soon for that to be doing anything. The knee pain dates back to a twisted knee I sustained while mountaineering many years ago and niggles on and off occasionally. Maybe I should give in and wear a support for longer runs. So, I'm not majorly concerned about the joint pains.
It's the foot pain. There is nothing to see on my foot, no swelling, no change of colour. Immediately after the race, it was so painful I struggled to walk, but eased considerably over 2-3 days. It did feel 'mushy', if I lifted my leg it felt like there was a gel-like movement inside my foot. Really weird. Its been fine the last week or so walking, but now that I've run, it really hurts again.

Now I'm rambling.

Basically, am I just expecting to get over this too quickly?? I see some of my fellow competitors have been out doing 20 mile runs already, but they are a lot more experienced at this game than I.

Also, I was hoping to run the 3Peaks in April and don't want to loose too much fitness.
Jan 2013
2:16pm, 14 Jan 2013
1,031 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I'm not sure about the foot pain thing, but the only thing like that I ever had was after a 19 mile race ..... but there was a bruise and some swelling. Mine turned out to be just a sprain. As for recovering from long distance stuff I have never done a 30 miler in one hit ( closest being was a bit over 30 at TR24 ) but due to my own stupidity and reluctance to do LR's ( 'cos I hate them ) I have done a marathon off the back of only 1 20 mile run the rest being no more than 13's, and I find that I take longer than other people seem to to recover. Reckon it's normal to take 2 to 4 weeks to totally recover.

Re the foot thing when mine was not good I just kept doing exercises like drawing the alphabet in the air and pointing toes up and down plus ice 2 or 3 times a day and it sorted itself out.
Jan 2013
2:27pm, 14 Jan 2013
237 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Thanks WD, that makes me feel a little better!

I want to continue with the long distance stuff. I escaped a marathon with minimal recovery issues (just muscle fatigue, which is to be expected) but this has shown me just how much extra I really need to be doing to be able to do the distance comfortably.

Gentle foot exercises sound like a good idea. I will also have a word with Sonja now that club is back in session, she is a fizz and our assistant coach.
Jan 2013
2:32pm, 14 Jan 2013
1,033 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Yes that's a good idea I see a fizz and the exercises were her suggestion they did seem to help clear it up quite quickly and mine was prob a bit worse due to the swelling and bruising. It was pretty much sorted in about 4 weeks.
Good luck and well done on the30 miles :-)
Jan 2013
12:46pm, 15 Jan 2013
238 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Ok, club fizz booked for tomorrow morning!

Icing feels nice, which surprised me! And I'll do some low impact exercise after my lunch.

*bumpity bump bump*
Jan 2013
1:04pm, 15 Jan 2013
572 posts
  •  
The Juicer
I've had a bruised feeling on the bottom of my left foot too. Mostly around the pad of the heel, a little into the arch. I was worried for a while about Plantar Fasciitis. I've been able to continue training though, so don't think mine is. Might be worth checking out though ..................
Jan 2013
10:40am, 16 Jan 2013
241 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Ok, hobbled to the physio and had some treatment to improve circulation. She thinks either tendon damage (peroneal) or possibly stress fracture on 5th metatarsal- have to try and wangle a scan to confirm/rule out that one.
Complete rest til my next appointment on Monday and NO RUNNING for at least another 2 weeks. Could be longer of course.
And I have some snazzy blue tape.
Also learnt I am flat footed.

The Juicer - Thankfully she said defo not PF.

I think it was metatarsal, the long one under the foot, not the little ones in the toe...
Jan 2013
10:42am, 16 Jan 2013
7,467 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
The Juicer- that sounds exactly how my PF started. Please be careful.....I also was able to train through it for a while.....
May
Jan 2013
10:50am, 16 Jan 2013
1,106 posts
  •  
May
..It can take time to recover but everyone is different but the main thing is listen to your body get expert advice/massage/more rest if needed try to let your body guide you even if its a short run or stretching...does sound like PF but if it hurts then back off
May
Jan 2013
11:15am, 16 Jan 2013
1,107 posts
  •  
May
sorry missed your last post..not good news hope it heals ok: )

About This Thread

Maintained by cackleberry
Don't know if I'm being impatient, or if I might be injured?!
I know everyone is different, but h...