Recovery drinks food etc

5 watchers
Feb 2015
11:53am, 9 Feb 2015
5,555 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Lol @Dvorak :)
I like almond milk, flapjacks are good, and toast/bread with peanut butter & banana, or eggs in some form if you feel more like savoury. I do use the High5 soluble tabs in a bottle of water too - but that is more for rehydration.
Feb 2015
11:59am, 9 Feb 2015
1,994 posts
  •  
z1000jeff
I wouldn't discount protein shakes so quickly and I'm not sure I agree with your idea that they "could be made of anything". The ingredients and allergen info are all on the side of the tub. Go to any sports / running shop and they'll explain it all in plenty detail for you. Your muscles need to repair after exercise and protein is the stuff to do it. After many years of eschewing them I started taking protein shakes last year and I've since aced all my PBs some of which were up to 8 years old. I've also noticed that I'm injured far less frequently.
Feb 2015
12:09pm, 9 Feb 2015
2,217 posts
  •  
Nelly
I love Frijj (non-brand Chocolate Milk) as much as the next person, but I've decided to look elsewhere for recovery fuels after I realised it's full of sugar (~50% rda?).
Feb 2015
12:17pm, 9 Feb 2015
1,365 posts
  •  
Lemon10
I will eat anything after a run as I am not really a proper afleet (no really, I'm not) but I love eggs on toast the best after a run, Frijj are great, and I might have a few small squares of chocolate.
Feb 2015
12:40pm, 9 Feb 2015
24,225 posts
  •  
idio
Torq recovery banana & mango. I can't stomach milk it makes me heave and I struggle to consume solid food straight after a hard session.
Feb 2015
6:33pm, 9 Feb 2015
14,455 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Pie and beer for me. I need recovery food and drink that is in tune with my body pint*pie*
Feb 2015
7:00pm, 9 Feb 2015
11,138 posts
  •  
Ultracat
After a hard race I like a packet of crisps and a glass of wine.

If you are constantly get sore legs after training then think if you really need to run so hard in training, save the really tough sessions for race days.
Feb 2015
7:04pm, 9 Feb 2015
652 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
Eh?
Feb 2015
7:13pm, 9 Feb 2015
182 posts
  •  
Kim3007
I've started having hot chocolate/chocolate milk or milk after a run as have read its helpful. Am now a fan of peanut butter & banana on toast too. But I tend to have that as breakfast or lunch before a run.
Feb 2015
7:49pm, 9 Feb 2015
1,270 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Isn't most protein powder either whey based (ie from milk) or vegan, and soya or pea (or any other legume) based?

Not my cup of tea, but nothing really sinister, I'd say. Heavily processed, obviously, and insanely expensive.

Most people get far more protein than they need in their diet, but finding a source of protein you can manage to eat / drink after exercise may be useful for recovery and repair.

Rego has been known to make me barf. Ordinary chocolate milk, or soya chocolate milk works better for me. Or a cheese sandwich. Or even black pudding (food of champions).

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi Guys

Im ramping up my training in advance of needing to run 10 miles in August eeek! For obvio...