Recovery drinks food etc

5 watchers
Feb 2015
10:00am, 9 Feb 2015
962 posts
  •  
Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi Guys

Im ramping up my training in advance of needing to run 10 miles in August eeek! For obvious reasons my body is feeling a little sore and fatigued. Im having plenty of rest days and not putting all miles on at once and following a proper plan but boy do I ache! I ran a 10k race yesterday stretched post race but today am very sore and tired!

I wonder if I would feel the benefit if I incorroporated a protein shake or something post hard training session........ What do you guys think? What do you guys do? What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance

K x
Feb 2015
10:04am, 9 Feb 2015
14,453 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
No harm in trying. Chocolate milk and bananas will do the same thing mind ;-)
Feb 2015
10:21am, 9 Feb 2015
12,477 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Milk. Brilliant stuff.
Feb 2015
10:38am, 9 Feb 2015
963 posts
  •  
Nutso Lazytoad!
Oooh forgot to say don't much fancy the idea of protein powder etc as well it could be made of anything!!

Derby - I keep hearing chcocolate milk does it work for you?

Teaboy, not a great lover of milk so we only have skimmed in our house will that work? or does it need to be more milk like lol
Feb 2015
10:40am, 9 Feb 2015
8,749 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Bowls of cereal. With Skimmed milk.
Feb 2015
10:42am, 9 Feb 2015
32,091 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The ultimate superfood. Black pudding.
MPH
Feb 2015
10:43am, 9 Feb 2015
639 posts
  •  
MPH
I've upped my mileage significantly in Jan/Feb. I probably drink about 400ml of full fat milk and a handful of almonds after my long runs (fat, carbs, protien), but also through the week, have a few lovely hot baths with epsom salts, stretch and get a massage every 3-4 weeks. Legs feeling eeringly good for some reason!
Feb 2015
11:06am, 9 Feb 2015
16,315 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I had a couple of pints at Caldecotte Lake and a doner kebab wrap at King's Cross Station yesterday. To be honest, my legs feel pretty banjacksed ;-)
.B.
Feb 2015
11:33am, 9 Feb 2015
14,376 posts
  •  
.B.
After a hard effort some carb/protein is good for recovery but real food is just as good as all the sports nutrition stuff. I like Peanut butter on toast topped with banana
Feb 2015
11:49am, 9 Feb 2015
9,749 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Sometimes after races when I have had really tired legs, I've magically improved them with eggs. Crack two eggs, beat them with flour and some chilli sauce, smear the paste on your legs, wrap them in cling film and leave it on for two hours.

Not really, make an omelette.

Generally though, just a Frijj shake or a snack like a flapjack or cereal bar, or wholemeal bread, maybe with some cheese.

And like MPH said, hot baths. I've been running more as well and taking more hot baths and my muscles are less tight after.

And pint In the bath, if you like. (NO, not poured into the bath ;-).)

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi Guys

Im ramping up my training in advance of needing to run 10 miles in August eeek! For obvio...