Recommendations for Trail Shoes.

6 watchers
Jul 2017
10:43am, 2 Jul 2017
570 posts
  •  
Vixx
Thanks jdarun - I'll have a look at them. I did go to the shop to have a look, and there seems to be a lot of fascination with tread that looks like arrowheads, or 'L-shaped', and I could see that sort of tread causing problems on the wrong surface :(

I still don't know what to go for. Salomons at least have some give in the toe box area, but none of the shops I went to had any INOV-8s at all :(
Jul 2017
2:43pm, 2 Jul 2017
6,036 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I nagged at a local running shop when they first opened in Cardiff and they stock Inov8 so if you ask they might do so. I think the resistance used to be that their shoes looked very plain and people love a bit of bling whilst not caring that the typical fashion off road shoe has a sole pattern whose grip is defeated by a 1cm deep muddy puddle.
Jul 2017
3:46pm, 2 Jul 2017
571 posts
  •  
Vixx
Very true The_Saint! I prefer one that allows me to stay as upright as possible :D
Jan 2018
10:28pm, 10 Jan 2018
636 posts
  •  
Vixx
I ended up buying some INOV-8s in the end, but think they'll not be used much as they aren't waterproof. :(

Great grip, but I've worn better, cheaper brands where my feet stay relatively dry through puddles rather than get soaked straight off!
Jan 2018
6:04am, 11 Jan 2018
10,006 posts
  •  
Rosehip
get some waterproof socks Vixx - you can wear them with any shoe then.

amazon.co.uk

[of course if you do you amazon, use the link down there

]
Jan 2018
6:42am, 11 Jan 2018
2,359 posts
  •  
ferret
Hello all, thanks for recommendations so far. Yesterday I wore new sportiva wildcats along the SCP on Portland, slimy stone, stone rubble, slippery clay, steep mud/clay paths, vast lumpy waterlogged opencast quarries. (& some beautiful open grassy clifftops :-) ) I’m used to Derbyshire grit, does anyone know of shoes that stick to slime? Asking too much of a shoe I think.
Jan 2018
10:52am, 11 Jan 2018
2,300 posts
  •  
jdarun
Mudclaws would be (are!) my starting point for anything soft.
Jan 2018
11:25am, 11 Jan 2018
759 posts
  •  
Oranj
I really like Inov8 for the grip, but my feet don't get on with them so they only get worn for extreme XC (forest orienteering mostly). I think they've got better in recent years though - the pair I had 10 years ago were very very stiff, more recent models seem to have a bit more flex in them, which is what I like.
Jan 2018
12:01pm, 11 Jan 2018
2,361 posts
  •  
ferret
Thank you, was thinking innov8s :-) I’ll take a trip to a real shop & try/buy them, & maybe ask about local conditions. I’m also used to Wiltshire mud, but conditions yesterday were somewhat different, also noticed that walkers in proper boots were just as slow.
Jan 2018
12:07pm, 11 Jan 2018
637 posts
  •  
Vixx
Oranj - there is a lot of flex in the pair I bought, which is great! I just wasn't expecting them to be so absorbent!

About This Thread

Maintained by Vixx
I've always used either Adidas Kanadia or More Mile Cheviot off-road shoes. The Cheviot I use ...