Rebel Scum

27 watchers
Jan 2020
1:43pm, 27 Jan 2020
32,996 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was a bit worried on second watching that I wouldn't like it as much, but after the first twenty minutes of waffle/exposition (couldn't that have been cut a bit?) it was absolutely glorious and I'm looking forward to the next time.
Jan 2020
1:55pm, 27 Jan 2020
367 posts
  •  
blindcider
i reviewed the film in a blog post earlier this year - main thrust was that the film is 45 minutes too long, too self indulgent and based on yet another ridiculous designed in weakness.

Not as bad as Attack of the Clowns or that interminable film 8 with the ridiculous plot holes and the worlds most boring 'car' chase...

My son loved it, I just feel that Star Wars hasn't grown up with its fan base existing from before the prequel trilogy and we expect more. Also feel that the storytelling that was in the original trilogy has been lost.

Other media express and grow the star wars universe better than the subsequent 'Skywalker' films films have.
Jan 2020
1:57pm, 27 Jan 2020
23,290 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The boy with the broom at the end of TLJ was a sign that there are more Jedi powers out there. And I thought Disney were being a bit clever by referencing Fantasia.

The burial of Luke and Leia's lightsabers also felt like it was Disney saying "we've given the whole story a respectful burial, so now let's see what we can show you". I can't imagine them stepping away from the Star Wars universe.

My other favourite bit from ROS was when Luke lifted the X-Wing out of the sea. He never quite managed it in ESB, and you could tell that it meant a lot to him.
Jan 2020
2:01pm, 27 Jan 2020
23,292 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've updated the thread title :-)
Jan 2020
2:08pm, 27 Jan 2020
10,186 posts
  •  
larkim
I was less bothered about Rose, she served a good purpose in TLJ but I didn't think she needed to be crow-barred into the plot simply because she was good in the last film.

I don't think the force sensitivity stuff has been written out via Rey's lineage issues. But we know from Anakin to Luke / Leia and Leia to Kylo that sensivitity / power is inheritable, and powerfully so, so the fact that Rey has a heritage isn't really surprising. But the prequels had plenty of younglings training, and Jedi from multi planetary backgrounds, so was there ever any doubt that force sensivity existed beyond our main family groupings?

I actually disagree with the "growing up" bit BC - I love Star Wars because it doesn't grow up with the audience - it takes me back to being a 6 year old again, warts and all. Now I'm an adult, i can see the plot holes and contrivances with the films I love the most (Ep IV to VI), but it doesn't stop me enjoying them.

What's the timeline for Senator Palpatine having children and Rey being his grandchild? Did Palpatine have to have, ahem, "congress" before he was disfigured as "the emporer", or was his offspring born before that? Obviously we never saw them in the early films.
Jan 2020
2:10pm, 27 Jan 2020
43,074 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Somewhere, George Lucas is CGIing Palpatine's kids into the background of earlier films...
Jan 2020
2:16pm, 27 Jan 2020
10,188 posts
  •  
larkim
Despite saying elsewhere that the "off screen" stuff doesn't bother me, I do think to a degree they missed a trick by not having an outline plot for 7, 8, 9 coming directly from Lucas so that it improved in internal consistency - the MCU does that really well, constraining directors to a degree, but still allowing them to put their own sheen on the finished product.
Jan 2020
2:42pm, 27 Jan 2020
369 posts
  •  
blindcider
8 was a complete mis-step that didn't advance the story one bit
Jan 2020
2:49pm, 27 Jan 2020
10,189 posts
  •  
larkim
I've never quite understood that. The Star Wars story is the Star Wars story - if the events of Ep8 took place in that world, they took place. I enjoyed watching them take place, so it ticked my boxes.
Jan 2020
3:12pm, 27 Jan 2020
4,700 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I'm with you on Star Wars taking me back to being a kid again, Larkim. Yes I can see the flaws, but I think it's wonderful that a story and characters can rekindle feelings from around 40 years ago. Han Solo made me cry when I was 8 years old... He's still got it.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
rebelscum