Reassurance needed!! :)

1 watcher
Mar 2012
2:43pm, 5 Mar 2012
4 posts
  •  
Never Been Quicker
Thanks everyone! I was looking forward to it yesterday but as the days get closer I'm getting butterflies thinking about it!!
Mar 2012
2:57pm, 5 Mar 2012
28 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Most people do!!! :-)

But, you've got the miles in your legs already, and now just need to concentrate on getting better.

No last minute 15-mile panic runs!!! :-)

Hope it goes well.
Mar 2012
3:00pm, 5 Mar 2012
20,778 posts
  •  
Old Croc
If you aren't nervous about a race then you got a problem - complacency bites hard on race day!

Every time you bump a leg against the table this week it will feel broken, every twitch will be a torn muscle - get the idea?

Weclome to Fetch btw
Mar 2012
3:15pm, 5 Mar 2012
1,598 posts
  •  
Blackbird Leys ( boy)
You have got nothing to worry about NBQ, we are all so much stronger and capable than we give ourselves credit for.
The weeks rest would have done you good.

You'll be fine. :)
Mar 2012
10:27am, 6 Mar 2012
5 posts
  •  
Never Been Quicker
Thanks you are all making me feel better!

Old Croc that did make me laugh! I keep feeling random aches and pains that I've never had before but I know its all in my head! I haven't done anything for over a week so I know its not overtraining :)
Mar 2012
10:41am, 6 Mar 2012
1,725 posts
  •  
SpeedyMel
NBQ, I used to be terrified at the start of races. I would get stomach ache, nausea, and always wanted to pull out just before the start, but when that gun goes off and you cross the start line it all disappears and you get on with the job in hand, running. You will be absolutely fine if you do one thing. Enjoy it. Good luck and give us a race blog after. 😃
Mar 2012
4:46pm, 6 Mar 2012
6 posts
  •  
Never Been Quicker
Thanks SpeedyMel. I remember feeling like that during my last race but you are right, as soon as you start it all fades away! I haven't raced for over a year, partly due to the horrendous last race but I feel a bit more confident this time as I've done much more training and feel almost ready! I'm just going to take it steady, although I have Never Been Quicker, I'm certainly not speedy so I'm aiming to take it steady and not start too quickly.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me, this seems a really friendly place x
Mar 2012
9:20pm, 7 Mar 2012
43 posts
  •  
Ploddington Bear
NBQ... I ran my first half after a really bad cold that had me floored for a couple of weeks. It's taken me five years to beat the time I set on that first half!

My next best time was also after a cold (not sure if that means I should get ill more often before races :-) )

The others are right... you've done the miles, and you're better off having an easyish week.

Good luck...
Mar 2012
9:32pm, 7 Mar 2012
15,463 posts
  •  
Mr Mick & NOT so Little Phil
NBQ

some real good advice i'm reading here myself

my thoughts are through my expereince -

never get compleceant - your gonna be nervous, but that will at sometime change with expereince - ( i would think )

and yes we can produce far more than we think

if u want me to reiterate more just say
Mar 2012
1:25pm, 13 Mar 2012
7 posts
  •  
Never Been Quicker
Just thought I'd let you know how it went - well, my forum name is now ironic, although I was getting quicker in training my races are getting slower!

My asthma was worse than normal after the cold I had and it really slowed me down, so much so that I spent 15 mins with St Johns Ambulance! But I finished it, in a really slow time and almost half an hour slower than in training! For a few hours after the race I was never racing again but I've signed up for a 10k in April and thinking about another half marathon in the autumn.

Your reassurance did help me though - I was standing at the start thinking that I can do it, and the nerves did go once I'd started. On the plus side I did a 5k pb at the start (maybe that was part of the problem!). I'm not letting it get me down though, eventually I've got to have a successful race ... right?!

About This Thread

Maintained by Loumin
Hi everyone!

I've been training for a HM next Sunday but I haven't done any training for over ...