Really tight calves in Marathon training

4 watchers
Jan 2012
9:48am, 31 Jan 2012
270 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I still cannot believe I pay for the "privilege" of having someone inflict pain on me for 60 minutes during a massage!

I have added both the Stick, and some calf supports/protectors to my wish list. Have booked all my flights/hotels for Stockholm this week so don't have the cash for anything else right now :-(
Jan 2012
10:18am, 31 Jan 2012
308 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I suffer with tight calves too. I'm a natural forefoot runner and this can lead to problems with both calves and Achilles. Long haul business flights (to and from Asia mainly) are an issue too

I've tried knee socks (both on planes and for running too) but wasn't impressed. No running for a day or two after flying seems to help. As does having a friendly physio who is relatively cheap. The other thing I do is self-massage. Basically, I memorised what the physio does and if my my calves are tight I self-massage. This works quite well and is free! It only takes 5 to 10mins per leg ;-)
Jan 2012
10:23am, 31 Jan 2012
23 posts
  •  
Watervole
.... I sometimes use my opposite knee to massage my calf...... cross legs and then run the calf down the opposing knee joint. Gets rid of minor gripes. (Usual disclaimers apply!!!)

I also run in football socks, keeps the calf a little warmer this weather?
Feb 2012
7:58pm, 5 Feb 2012
150 posts
  •  
mikep
just bought some 2xu calf guards (w/stirrup) hoping they will help

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by not built for speed
I'm training for Brighton at the mo, and my calves feel like they are about to explode!

Everytim...