Reading Half Marathon 2015

6 watchers
Jul 2014
6:06pm, 23 Jul 2014
765 posts
  •  
DuncanG
Sorry for posting something so far ahead of next year's race, but the organisers have just announced changes to the route which they think will be a big hit with runners. They are moving the loop of green park to the start of the race and also getting rid of one of the early climbs.

readinghalfmarathon.com

I will still be handing out sweets on the A4 :-).
Jul 2014
6:20pm, 23 Jul 2014
563 posts
  •  
JollyDistractitated
Er... flatter? You still have to get from the Basingstoke road to the University which involves up. Either a shortish steepish up, or a ever so slightly longer, less steep up. I for one am utterly thrilled not to veer off into Green Park (in all its glory!) after seeing the stadium ebb gradually closer for the last 15 minutes (yeah ok, probably longer) up the long drag of the A33. Now if they could do something about getting to and from the start, I'd be even happier!
Jul 2014
7:14pm, 23 Jul 2014
3,939 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I would think there's the same elevation. The hill is shorter but sharper which should in theory be a little quicker. You lose the sharp turn from Northie Avenue to Whitley Wood Rd.

Still too expensive so won't do the half even though a few miles from my house.
Nov 2014
1:18pm, 21 Nov 2014
1,009 posts
  •  
James74
Parking id sold out already! Whats the best plan guys?
Jan 2015
2:32pm, 12 Jan 2015
1,148 posts
  •  
Kimberlina
If any ladies would like my place please fmail me.
Feb 2015
8:34am, 10 Feb 2015
238 posts
  •  
RBNLMX
Booked to go and see my grandparents in Reading for lunch this day, so wondered if anyone had (or knew of) a race number they not using? It would be great and my grandparents would love to see me running! Please let me know!
Feb 2015
7:51pm, 25 Feb 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
stevieg
also looking for a place for my work colleague...he'd be midpack somewhere, so doesn't matter what age/gender the sellee is!

expect there will be a flood of places at the last min, but would love to help him out and get it tided up asap! ta
Feb 2015
7:51pm, 25 Feb 2015
2 posts
  •  
stevieg
didn't even realise that was my first post...could have sworn I'd posted before..oh well!
Mar 2015
1:09pm, 9 Mar 2015
1,182 posts
  •  
James74
Two weeks- anyone run this before and thoughts, like previous in the thread to new course? I have just ran Bath Half, great course, but always longer 13;30, is this same?

I have Red Parking, so hoping that stress free.
Mar 2015
1:31pm, 9 Mar 2015
1,762 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Yes James, run this one several times before. They've changed the course this year but only very marginally so the 2 short / sharp hills remain but give back in several miles of gentle downhill where loads of time can be made up. There's the section through the university and down to the town which is just great, downhill, wide roads, bands. Then the section that'll probably be at about 11 miles now where you get that last downhill kicker.

There have been lots of moans about it being a bit long in the past. I've certainly always measured it long but I heard through the grapevine that one of the reasons to change the course was to fix this. Apparently, there were quite a few moans from Overall et al last season about the course length.

One of my fave races and imho very well organised given the size of the event.

About This Thread

Maintained by DuncanG
Sorry for posting something so far ahead of next year's race, but the organisers have just announce...