•  
Diogenes
I hope you like The Sisters Brothers, I really enjoyed that
Nov 2019
9:14am, 13 Nov 2019
7,867 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Just had a look at my list of books. I initially took part in this with the idea of reading every novel written by the prolific Dick Francis (and subsequently his son Felix) which apart from a period of 5 years when no books were written does amazingly cover every year of my life (and Felix is still going). I have now read all the original Dick Francis books apart from one which was written in 1964 (so technically not in my life but it annoys me intensely that I haven't read it!). It's called Nerve but my usual second hand bookshop that I visit has never had it. I've also read most of the Felix Francis ones with the exception of last years - Crisis - and I expect there is probably a 2019 one by now but that's probably a) not out in paperback yet and b) won't be in the charity shops/second hand shops until after Christmas.

Of my 'gap' years of 2001 and 2005 inclusive my 2005 book has been John Peel's autobiography/biography (as his wife finished writing the book for him after he died) which I loved. Can't think why I haven't read it sooner. I got it from the library but will have to get my own copy at some point. I have been reading other books too but always forget to check the years to see if I have actually 'done' one of those years without realising it.
Nov 2019
10:48am, 13 Nov 2019
2,123 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
slight glitch in my list
for 2004 I had "Suite Francaise" lined up, but, although first published in that year, I recently discovered that it was actually written in 1940-42, so it doesn't feel right to me to keep in for 2004
so I've picked Geoff Ryman's "Air" which DEFINITELY was first published in 2004 having been written shortly before in the normal manner!!
Nov 2019
3:00pm, 13 Nov 2019
24,626 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
19 now, mostly non fiction, unfortunately some are from as far back as 1952 (I was born in 63), if I see a book a fancy, I read it, so this is taking a while, have any number of years that are empty, an ongoing saga....favourite is probably The Wren, a book about, well Wrens, as in Wrens the birds.

Actually I have not bought a Pub guide for 4 or 5 years....must keep that up to date.
Nov 2019
6:53pm, 13 Nov 2019
7,868 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I haven't read a pub guide from EVERY year of my life but I have probably read quite a large number of those from my adult life!
Nov 2019
9:15pm, 13 Nov 2019
24,627 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I invest in one (sometimes the same one), every 4 or 5 years, just to check.....very little changes, and to be honest they are getting very tardy as regards acknowledging all the new micro bars around the NW....my main reason for getting a new one.

Actually, I am finding I am using twitter (of all things) to keep up to date of new pub related news....
Nov 2019
10:03pm, 13 Nov 2019
3,295 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I have Nerve, Baroness, but in an omnibus edition with two others, so not really practical to lend to you. Had forgotten that was his first. I need to complete my DF collection, I’m not sure which ones I have missing, must check!
Nov 2019
10:06pm, 13 Nov 2019
25,981 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm struggling for a 1978 - everything I can find that appeals I've read before.
Nov 2019
10:18pm, 13 Nov 2019
7,869 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I may be able to help you with some Fizz. However if I haven't tracked down a copy of Nerve before the summer I may well be asking you to bring it to Sheringham if you happen to be passing at around the time of the Beer Festival - I could probably read it over the course of the weekend!

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
The plan to read a book that was first published from each year of your life.
Doesn't matter how long it takes.

some websites for ideas

Fantastic Fiction
fantasticfiction.com

Good Reads
goodreads.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.