Reaction to antibiotics?

2 watchers
Nov 2011
2:44pm, 2 Nov 2011
4,033 posts
  •  
Chrisull
As a non-medical type, but having suffered dog bites - I'm quite surprised with prescriptions, given the disinterest shown when I came in with two dog bites of similar magnitude to the one's displayed on the blog, which looked painful. Tetanus "nah we don't do that any more, you're immune basically as you had it since maturity" and certainly not antibiotics," just wash it and go home."
Nov 2011
2:56pm, 2 Nov 2011
19,982 posts
  •  
JenL
The tetanus thing must be regionally variable. I've had at least 2 top-ups of my tetanus jab since my twenties -not as a result of any accident or incident but offered routinely just because the doctor was vaccinating the children. I couldn't think of a good reason to refuse them.
Nov 2011
3:02pm, 2 Nov 2011
18,134 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I once worked with an A&E registrar who insisted we prescribed antibiotics even for wasp stings as "the skin had been penetrated".

Apparently having your childhood jabs and two subsequent tetanus boosters gives you lifelong immunity, though most adults should probably have one if they haven't for 10 years because they may not have had the diphtheria and polio boosters that now come in the same syringe.
Nov 2011
3:04pm, 2 Nov 2011
19,983 posts
  •  
JenL
I just concluded that I must look either particularly vulnerable or particularly toxic to keep being offered all that additional protection
Nov 2011
8:58am, 3 Nov 2011
1,174 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Are you feeling any better today Scribbler?
Nov 2011
9:20am, 3 Nov 2011
1,227 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Much better today thanks Susie. My tummy's still a bit tender which makes lifting things a bit uncomfortable, but as I don't have to do much more than lift a pen, notebook and phone, I'll manage :-) I did what i usually do and slept myself well. Thanks for all the concern (hugs)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TheScribbler
I was bitten by a dog on Monday and went to A&E where I was given erythromycin and metronidazole to ...