Raynaud's

32 watchers
Jan 2020
10:42am, 11 Jan 2020
37,689 posts
  •  
Purps
Went to pick up the children from school yesterday, it was 7 degrees, I had my lined shoes on, 6 of 10 toes went white and numb, took an hour and a heat pad before they returned to normal. I'm very much looking forward to doing lunch duty at school again - not!
Feb 2020
7:45am, 21 Feb 2020
3,788 posts
  •  
westmoors
Had a massive attack last night after the club run. I'd worn gloves, but when we went into the bar afterwards my hands were white. They were still white when I got home. Took over an hour for them to recover.
Feb 2020
7:56am, 21 Feb 2020
45,193 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I've been in a warm office for 20 minutes now, not to mention a warm car for 25 minutes before that, yet my fingertips are still white and numb from when first I got in the cold car.

For some reason the toes on my left foot are much more affected than my right?
Feb 2020
8:15am, 21 Feb 2020
37,806 posts
  •  
Purps
My toes were numb for over 2 hours the other day, it was horrible. Then last night sat in the bedroom and my big toes both went numb :(
Feb 2021
11:45am, 10 Feb 2021
1,629 posts
  •  
Snoot
I’ve only had issues the last few years since loosing weight (7st), starting to run was part of this. Toes aren’t as bad as fingers and only suffer if in snow / water for extended periods.

Wear gloves most months for running. Fingers get progressively worse while running then improve after a while until sometimes too hot with gloves on? They then get worse when I’ve stopped. New car has heated steering wheel which has helped.

Tried various gloves to no great change. Tempted by the silver impregnated ones.

Wore two pair of gloves pruning trees at the weekend but kept having to come in as they get incredibly I painful and can’t use pruners.

Supermarkets seem to be a challenge too as others have said.
Feb 2021
12:56pm, 10 Feb 2021
1,912 posts
  •  
Flatlander
I wear gloves for running (and cycling, and other things). I find that waggling my fingers around a lot while I am still indoors and also during the first few miles helps a lot by encouraging a good blood flow to the fingers. If the fingers get cold again, I start waggling again.
For cycling, I use battery heated gloves (the batteries are in the wrist of the gloves). Wonderful! Unfortunately, the batteries are a bit too cumbersome to use for running.
I use silver impregnated socks for cycling - they help a little.
Feb 2021
1:02pm, 10 Feb 2021
17,266 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Incidentally -if it's practical for you to wear them - mittens are better at keeping your hands warm than gloves. You need warm hands before you put them on of course.

I warm EVERYTHING I can before putting it on which gives the shoe, sock, glove, mitten whatever a bit of a chance.
Feb 2021
1:12pm, 10 Feb 2021
20,538 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Someone once told me that keeping your wrists and arms warm helps, as the blood doesn't get cold on the way to your fi gers. Don't know how true this is but I started wearing close fitting running gloves with fingerless wool gloves over the top for parkrun timekeeping and it seemed to help a little.
Feb 2021
1:34pm, 10 Feb 2021
144 posts
  •  
Limegreenjelly
Unfortunately doesn’t really work for me Carps although I have been well wrapped up running in the snow the last few days! I have 3 layers of gloves, a cheapo Wooly pair, ronhill windstoppers and then a pair of mountain warehouse ski gloves over the top!

Someone told me reflexology cured their reynauds, so I tried that too! Just seems to be something I have to live with!
Feb 2021
9:34pm, 17 Feb 2021
13,766 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I seem to have gone more than a year without a problem, not sure why.

Good article by the ever-interesting Alex Hutchinson, not about Raynauds, but about cold hands/ feet and running.

outsideonline.com

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
No major issues for me yet this year - but I had a Fetchie contact me to say that they were struggli...