Raynaud's

32 watchers
Dec 2019
9:51pm, 18 Dec 2019
7,933 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I've never been officially diagnosed but I often have white fingers - quite often it's at its worst when doing the supermarket shop, which I usually wear gloves for. And it's then a real struggle to get my card out to pay!

Years of mucking out horses in cold weather and riding meant that I really just had to get on with it - because I didn't even know there was something called Raynauds then I just thought I had really really cold hands and feet.

I used to wear two pairs of socks with a plastic bag for fruit and veg from the supermarket between them on my feet and a pair of those gloves you get at petrol stations for diesel under my proper gloves which both helped.
Dec 2019
9:56pm, 18 Dec 2019
15,434 posts
  •  
Sprinter Wonderland
The best advice of all (not practical though!) is just don't get cold in the first place!

That sounds silly but it's true isn't it? There is no point in thinking you'll warm up with exercise. You HAVE to be warm before you go outside or into any cold condition.
Dec 2019
10:06pm, 18 Dec 2019
5,230 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thankfully I don’t suffer in the summer, I actually get fairly sweaty hands and feet when it’s warm.
Dec 2019
10:11pm, 18 Dec 2019
5,231 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Also on keeping the core warm, I’m very thankful for Heat Tech thermal base layers which are widely available nowadays. I nearly always have one on at the time of year, especially at home in the evenings.
Dec 2019
10:15pm, 18 Dec 2019
37,333 posts
  •  
Merry Lip Gloss
I could Leave the house wearing 2 pairs of gloves and get to work with white fingers
Dec 2019
10:23pm, 18 Dec 2019
2,397 posts
  •  
Drell
The old thread is here: fetcheveryone.com/forum__46751__1__the_cold_feet_thread
But it's been inactive for ages. I expect we were all too busy trying to keep our fingers warm.
Dec 2019
10:30pm, 18 Dec 2019
8,267 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
Yes, BBL. I’m with you on the supermarket shopping issues. The number of times I’ve struggled getting my card out because my fingers are white down to the palm. :-O
Dec 2019
10:45pm, 18 Dec 2019
11,700 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
For me, it is not that well correlated with temperature. I've run in t-shirts and shorts in temperatures below -20 and not had a problem, but I've also had my fingers turn white and numb walking round the supermarket. I seem to be able to go for a couple of years without a problem and then have it happen several times in a week. All 3 of my sisters suffer from it, so I assume there's a genetic component.
Dec 2019
7:22am, 19 Dec 2019
3,673 posts
  •  
westmoors
I suffer quite badly. It can affect my hands, feet, ears and nose! My core though, often overheats, which I have always assumed is a consequence of blood being diverted away from the extremities.

A couple of degrees change in temperature is all I need to trigger an attack. I often have to wear gloves in doors, especially at work when the AC kicks in.

I was prescribed Nifedipine to reduce the number of attacks, but the side effects were worse than the Raynaud's ;-)
Dec 2019
7:23am, 19 Dec 2019
3,674 posts
  •  
westmoors
Sharkie, the advice I had from the GP when I was first diagnosed was to avoid the cold!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
No major issues for me yet this year - but I had a Fetchie contact me to say that they were struggli...