RANT - BRING BACK COTTON T SHIRTS

9 watchers
Jan 2013
7:54pm, 20 Jan 2013
6,579 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I think the issue of no/which race mementos is mostly down to runners varying in their level of 'race oldhandedness': for my first race, I got a men's medium cotton t-shirt which goes (almost) down to my knees, but I was still super chuffed with it since it represented the achievement of having run 10k.

With time, I got more picky - I still appreciate tech t-shirts, but my drawer is reaching capacity. I like mugs, towels or long-sleeved tops, but have enough drawstring bags and water bottles. However, the very same races I do are run by first-timers for whom any memento is special and who might prefer a t-shirt because that is what most people seem to get at races.

Since I love this mix of abilities and experience at races, I wouldn't diss a cotton t-shirt (even though I myself would prefer something else) - and it makes me happy to see people walking around proudly in their "Done a 5k" t-shirts.

After all, I'm still the same - I was happy to get a not very well-fitting (tech) t-shirt afetr my first ultra - just wished it had said "ULTRA" in much bigger letters. ;-) (Oh, and I'm a bit of a hoarder, too - which probably makes me more appreciative of race mementos in general. ;-))
Jan 2013
8:04pm, 20 Jan 2013
39 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
I like my shot glass that I got from a 10k a couple of years ago, but generally prefer the cereal bars and drink - more practical.
Jan 2013
8:08pm, 20 Jan 2013
5,626 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
The Grizzly organisers have fab cotton t-shirts in great colours. The advertising mentions are done v tastefully.
Jan 2013
8:29pm, 20 Jan 2013
68,246 posts
  •  
santababy
cant be bothered to look back. i recently gave a huge bag of clothes to charity, most were the useless fuckin coton shapeless t shirt that i will never ever ever wear
Jan 2013
8:30pm, 20 Jan 2013
68,247 posts
  •  
santababy
like EVER
Jan 2013
8:37pm, 20 Jan 2013
6,810 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Plus the 8000 pair of shoes you own.
Jan 2013
8:47pm, 20 Jan 2013
5,803 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
I have three buffs. That's not too many. Some twunt at work nicked my Stafford 20 mug. Why would anyone who doesn't like running nick a Stafford 20 mug?
Jan 2013
9:09pm, 20 Jan 2013
68,248 posts
  •  
santababy
fuck off you, i wear all my shoes.
Jan 2013
9:17pm, 20 Jan 2013
6,810 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I can't think about running in a cotton tshirt.. If I wanted to remove my nipples, I'd have it done surgically, not sanded away a by sweaty cotton shirt.
Jan 2013
9:19pm, 20 Jan 2013
8,301 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
SA - you are so right! Any kind of race momento when you start doing races is nice to get, but after a while it just gets boring! Still loving my ultra tech tops though, but I never where them,and what am I going to do with a belt buckle? Even though it's my best race momento.

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
Race organisers, yes tech tees are fantastic, but I have 78 of them. Long sleeve, hi viz, big logos,...