Random slight ball of foot pain!

1 watcher
Oct 2011
7:44pm, 23 Oct 2011
1,616 posts
  •  
clare1976
Not sure if I have an injury or not and can't find a likely diagnosis online so would be grateful if anybody has any ideas on this one..

Nothing serious but I have had some mild discomfort on the ball of my foot under my big toe when I put weight on it. It feels slightly uncomfortable when walking / running (as I push off the foot) but not strongly and if anything, the feeling eases as I get further into a run, as if it loosens up. When I take the weight off the foot (i.e. sit down) and press the area under my foot I can't feel anything at all! Wiggling my toes also doesn't cause me to feel anything.

It has been happening ever since I started back running 4 weeks ago and is possibly getitng a bit worse but still v mild. But obviously I don't want it to become anything more serious, so wondered if anyone has any ideas as to what the issue is and if I can do anyting to sort it out. I can get a free 15 min physio consultation at my gym so going to book one of those to get an opinion too. Cheers!
Oct 2011
7:50pm, 23 Oct 2011
100 posts
  •  
SunnyDevon
How old are the trainers you run in? I tend to find if I get a pain like this it's time to change trainers and it seems to sort it out.
Oct 2011
7:57pm, 23 Oct 2011
1,617 posts
  •  
clare1976
Hmm, good point SunnyDevon. They only have 255 miles on them so hadn't considered that. But as well as running, I wore them in the gym a fair bit for a few months when I stopped running when pregnant right up to the week I gave birth! And ran in them up to 6 months preg. So perhaps my extra weight wore them down more than usual and has affected the cushioning - both running and gym sessions would have likely contributed to that. Time to replace them maybe?!
Oct 2011
8:26pm, 23 Oct 2011
101 posts
  •  
SunnyDevon
Got to be worth a punt...what's the worst that can happen? If it's not the trainers then at least you'll have another pair. Good luck!
Oct 2011
8:39pm, 23 Oct 2011
1,619 posts
  •  
clare1976
Thank you SD :-)
Oct 2011
3:04pm, 24 Oct 2011
1,622 posts
  •  
clare1976
Had a reply from the very kind Cabletow and he has suggested that

"could be a little sesamoiditis and as such is not serious but it could be a little early planter fascists. It does imply that you are pointing your toe down as you run and are overloading the tissues..... Trying too hard to run on the ball of the foot. Let the heel drop ot pull the toes up as you run."

Hmm, really hope it's not the dreaded PF but don't think it is due to where the discomfort is. Googled sesamoiditis and lots of links relating to horse injuries came up!! Wish I could run as fast as a horse! But the descriptions given do sound a bit more like what I have - so a distinct possibility.

Anybody got experience of this? In the meantime I am going trainer shopping tomorrow, will try a gentle run on Tues eve I think and also have physio consultation booked for Weds.
Oct 2011
3:17pm, 24 Oct 2011
1,753 posts
  •  
Loca
I've had it! But then I have such a back catalogue of injuries, there is n't much that I haven't had!!

Physio did a lot of massage and stretching of the area. It didn't take long for it to go, if I rememeber well. One of my less serious injuries! :-)

Hope you get it sorted soon! :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by clare1976
Mild pain on ball of foot when push off from it walking or running, eases when into a run, no pain when prod it! Any ideas? Ta x