Random Heart Rate Monitor Changes

4 watchers
Nov 2022
3:48pm, 30 Nov 2022
9,244 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I’ve noted recently that I get sudden changes in my heart rate monitoring during a run. I use a Garmin Forerunner 35.

I’ve posted a pic of my latest run HR which was at a constant effort on an absolutely flat metalled surface and no wind, so I’m at a loss to understand why the sudden jump by around 10 BPM which lasted for around six minutes, and then returned to a similar level before the jump.

This has happened on a number of occasions, and as it is a sudden change I can only assume that it is a monitoring issue rather than my heart suddenly switching in and out of overdrive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Nov 2022
3:49pm, 30 Nov 2022
28,419 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Don't forget to post the pic :-)
Nov 2022
3:49pm, 30 Nov 2022
9,245 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
This is the HR recording…..
Nov 2022
4:06pm, 30 Nov 2022
222 posts
  •  
Rossco Peeko
I get this a lot too...I think it is the HR monitor losing signal and locking in to step cadence...
Nov 2022
4:06pm, 30 Nov 2022
223 posts
  •  
Rossco Peeko
I say that as the elevated reading is always ~17x bpm
Nov 2022
4:13pm, 30 Nov 2022
19,750 posts
  •  
larkim
If you don't notice it happening in the sense that you can't detect a physical higher heart rate, then depending on your specific devices it'll be some form of cadence lock or dodgy data (chest straps for me do it regularly based on static in my t-shirts).

If you did notice something, then get a cardiac appointment via your GP. My son had periodic episodes of elevated HR during runs which at first we thought were just dodgy data, but when they matched up whilst using two HRMs at the same time he got an appointment and did say he could feel it racing now he knew what to look for. There was a diagnosis of a mild irreregularity, but in the end the consultant said it was nothing to worry about unless it became too frequent. Which it hasn't.
Nov 2022
9:27pm, 30 Nov 2022
9,250 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thanks for the replies. From what you’ve both said I think that it’s probably cadence lock.

I’m fairly certain that although I do have an occasional slightly irregular HR (and leaky valve) it is more a case of skipping a beat rather than a high rate. (I have regular cardiac checks accordingly). I’m fairly certain that I would notice a sudden increase in HR.
Jun 2023
8:37am, 9 Jun 2023
9,725 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Just an update on this thread. I now have a new Garmin and my HR indication is pretty much as I would expect with no random increases as shown above.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Eynsham Red
I’ve noted recently that I get sudden changes in my heart rate monitoring during a run. I use a Garmin Forerunner 35.

I’ve posted a pic of my latest run HR which was at a constant effort on an absolutely flat metalled surface and no wind, so I’m at a loss to understand why the sudden jump by around 10 BPM which lasted for around six minutes, and then returned to a similar level before the jump.

This has happened on a number of occasions, and as it is a sudden change I can only assum...