Racing with your name on your shirt: Yay or Nay?

14 watchers
Jan 2018
5:28pm, 11 Jan 2018
10,132 posts
  •  
_andy
It's true - HappyG was even at the local parkrun last Saturday shouting encouragement (much appreciated btw)
Jan 2018
5:33pm, 11 Jan 2018
28,081 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
If you can't run, shout! That's what I say! Good effort andy - and how quick was that young lad at the front?! 14 years old, apparently. Wowsers! :-) G
Jan 2018
6:03pm, 20 Jan 2018
1,621 posts
  •  
FurryH
its a yay from me. Especially for VLM where the last miles down the embankment I find I need the encouragement. Like the encouragement in normal races too. Now I have left my club my fetch tops will be back out again but they have my old fetch name on them. Any thoughts on removing old iron on letters or do I just speak to fetch and get a new top?
Jan 2018
10:32pm, 28 Jan 2018
4,853 posts
  •  
Hitch
Definitely put you name on your shirt.
Apr 2018
3:27pm, 3 Apr 2018
41 posts
  •  
MajorRunning
Definitely no name. I hate that races have started putting your name on numbers now too. I always cover them over.
It horrible being someone running at the same pace as someone with their name on their vest as it's a constant ' go Sara,' 'Sara' 'Not far Sara' . When all you want to do is get in your zone and concentrate on your pace, following the blue line and not trip over discarded bottles.

At a big race when I have people coming out to see me I want to know that if I hear my name it's someone who's face I want to see when I look around to motivate and encourage me. But when you have your name on your vest you miss seeing the people you care about seeing in the crowds.
Also it can get emotional at the end of a race and when I run past the fetch point at VLM every time I start choking up and spluttering when people shout my name so now I don't ask people to look out for me.
The worst thing is running in memory of someone with the details on your back. At the last few miles people think they are encouraging you but putting their hand on your shoulder as they run past saying 'he'll be very proud of you' it just turned me into a complete mess that the Start John's people thought I was injured as I cried down the mall.
My advice is no name and no personal reasons for running on your vest unless you are doing it in fancy dress and planning to walk.
Apr 2018
4:23pm, 3 Apr 2018
18,147 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yep, I don't like getting shouted at, and don't like the names being on numbers, I filled mine in with black ink last time :-). Being shouted at is for people who want to be shouted at.
Apr 2018
5:04pm, 3 Apr 2018
12,148 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I quite like it when someone calls my name from the sidelines and I do intend to put my name on my vest for VLM. When I spectate or Race Angel I do use people's names if I can read them - so apologies if I have inadvertently upset someone - I didn't realise this was such a social minefield.
Apr 2018
5:29pm, 3 Apr 2018
9,051 posts
  •  
Ness
I didn’t realise that either, Al. I liked people calling my name out at the Chester Metric Marathon. ;):)
Apr 2018
5:31pm, 3 Apr 2018
12,149 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Phew ;)
Apr 2018
5:50pm, 3 Apr 2018
251 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Yes from me.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I've never had my name on my shirt and have generally been indifferent to it.

Races I have run i...