Racing with your name on your shirt: Yay or Nay?

14 watchers
Apr 2013
10:00pm, 2 Apr 2013
3,651 posts
  •  
Kieren
I've never had my name on my shirt and have generally been indifferent to it.

Races I have run in the past have had supporters cheer my club name or country if overseas.

I'm thinking about getting my name printed on my shirt for an upcoming race but don't know if that will get me out of the zone and ruin my focus or help me battle on in those last few kilometers.

What do you guys like to do?
Apr 2013
10:03pm, 2 Apr 2013
23,207 posts
  •  
Old Croc
club names on vest for race - fetch name on t-shirt for afterwards.
Apr 2013
11:01pm, 2 Apr 2013
7,893 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
For a 5k fun run - no!

For a pretty marathon miles out in the country with the occasional couple sat outside a pub having a fag politely clapping the occasional runner - no!

For the London Marathon - essential. (I expect)
Apr 2013
11:05pm, 2 Apr 2013
48,041 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I would never do it again

you cant suffer in silence if you do
Apr 2013
11:10pm, 2 Apr 2013
7,399 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I only have my Fetch name on a Fetch vest. I don't have my Earth name on anything. Not a problem for you Kieran, I suppose.

At the Brighton Marathon I had lots of people shouting 'come on McGoogan' and 'you can do it Mr Goohan' and almost no-one got the name right. A bit distracting is what it was.
Apr 2013
11:13pm, 2 Apr 2013
24,525 posts
  •  
Nellers
I have Nellers on the back of my Fetch shirt which I wear for a lot of races but not on my Fetch vest which I wear when it's warmer. I get cheers as a Fetchie either way.
Apr 2013
11:22pm, 2 Apr 2013
2,001 posts
  •  
ndellar
Never had my name on my vest but I've done quite a few races where they've printed names on numbers and found the more personalised support quite nice. If it was a really big event I might consider it.
Apr 2013
11:31pm, 2 Apr 2013
5,876 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
A friend of mine printed laminated names for my and my clubmates to use at Marato Barcelona - a pretty good idea I thought.

Until we picked up our numbers, with our names on.

Worth considering for VLM though :-)
Apr 2013
11:32pm, 2 Apr 2013
3,652 posts
  •  
Kieren
A bit of a mixed bag so far - this is good! Thanks.

The only time I wish I had letters was at Windsor half marathon where I raced a guy with Kieth on his vest who got loads of support on our 2 mile battle.
Apr 2013
11:34pm, 2 Apr 2013
353 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I was rather dismayed to find my first name printed on my number at the Cambridge half. Nobody called me anything though because my name is not very pronouncable at the best of times and certainly not while it's jouncing up and down.

However, as a VLM seasoned spectator, I do like being able to yell 'Come on person' at someone rather than a generic 'Come on everyone'.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I've never had my name on my shirt and have generally been indifferent to it.

Races I have run i...