Racing in the heat

1 watcher
Jul 2013
1:58pm, 19 Jul 2013
18 posts
  •  
RiversideRed
I really don't enjoy running the heat, and I'm not very good at either - I find I have to slow down a fair bit and overheat very easily.

Question is, I'm supposed to be running the Arley Hall Half Marathon on Sunday and it's obviously going to be a tad warm.
I wanted to do this as a test to see if my speed is improving, but I don't think I'm going to be able to go flat out in this weather - or if I do I don't think I'll last the distance! So.....Do I:

a) Stop being a wimp and go for it;
b) Back off and treat it is a training run;
c) Don't do the race but get up early Sunday (5am) and do 13.1 training-race from home.

Oh and Arley hall is a 2 and a half hour drive so I was going to travel Saturday and stay overnight, so there are the costs to factor in as well against staying home.

Thanks for any advice to aid in my decision!
Jul 2013
2:01pm, 19 Jul 2013
638 posts
  •  
ultrapaulo
A
Jul 2013
2:07pm, 19 Jul 2013
437 posts
  •  
Spleen
A. No need to treat it as a training run, just listen to your body. You will probably find that you finish about five minutes slower than you thought you were going, but never mind - not every race can be a PB.
Jul 2013
2:09pm, 19 Jul 2013
351 posts
  •  
Sazzleflip
A
Jul 2013
2:10pm, 19 Jul 2013
1,949 posts
  •  
Curly45
The best way to get good at something is to do it more...

A from me too :)
Jul 2013
2:18pm, 19 Jul 2013
660 posts
  •  
mushroom
C and then A :-O
Jul 2013
2:21pm, 19 Jul 2013
5,962 posts
  •  
simbil
c) if it's a speed test, so long as you can motivate yourself to run hard on your own and have a well measured course. Otherwise (a) ;)
Jul 2013
3:24pm, 19 Jul 2013
19 posts
  •  
RiversideRed
If by well measured you mean mapping it out first on Mapometer then yes... :-s
Doesn't look like I'm going to get out of it then!

Mushroom - I want to survive the weekend!!
Jul 2013
3:25pm, 19 Jul 2013
1,929 posts
  •  
minardi.
A
Jul 2013
3:27pm, 19 Jul 2013
55 posts
  •  
wildebeast
a youve paid for it so do it, but adjust your targets accordingly

About This Thread

Maintained by RiversideRed
I really don't enjoy running the heat, and I'm not very good at either - I find I have to slow dow...

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,105 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here