BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter
Races cancelled due to council h&s
7:41am, 13 Feb 2014
ThorntonRunnerI'm a bit out of the loop as I've not run for a few months now, but I used to be an enthusiastic participant in the Leicestershire Road Running League and am still a club member. This year, two of the six (approx) league races have been cancelled due to the County Council's insistence on formal road closures for the start. These are both races that have run without problem for many years with marshals informally stopping traffic for the start.
General consensus (or maybe general cynicism;) ) is that this is a money raising exercise by the counci (as they'd charge for road closure)l, but it's made these races impossible to run financially, and if it extended would threaten the viability of the league.
Is this happening elsewhere, or is it purely a Leicestershire problem?
8:13am, 13 Feb 2014
PestomumFrom what I remember, the big cost is the policing required for the road closure. Which isn't to say that the council haven't seen a good charge!
About This Thread
Maintained by ThorntonRunner
- The ugly side of the London Marathon 2019 #NotInclusive
- Re-usable, collapsible cups
- Race entry
- Race entry limit
- Why are races in London too expensive to enter?
- Race organisers (and entrants) - a few questions
- Running Banned for Section of a Half Marathon Race
- URGENT Hollins Green 5k race postponement
- What do you expect a new marathon to organise before taking entries?
- Transferring Race Places