•  
Bazoaxe
Thats a really interesting article SOAPM
Aug 2016
10:12pm, 1 Aug 2016
1,719 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Quite interesting that the picture accompanying the article shows all the walkers complying with the rules.

Also interesting that we've just had a football tournament in France where rules are routinely ignored (throw ins from where the ball went out for example) and the level of cynical cheating is on an almost industrial scale. Don't hear anyone calling for football to be scrapped.
Aug 2016
10:15pm, 1 Aug 2016
10,392 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I noted that FellRunning......looked very closely and there was one I thought was almost dodgy but couldnt be sure.
Aug 2016
10:26pm, 1 Aug 2016
1,720 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Kanyakini - yeah he's got form.

There is really no way to use technology unless all the races are run on a track.

It's hugely frustrating that every four years we get these "Lets have a pop at the walkers" articles. People like Justin Gatlin can use drugs yet you'd think the race walkers were eating babies or stamping on kittens as part of their event. Its completely out of proportion.

One of the reasons my daughter went to live in Australia was the appalling attitude shown by the running community in this country. She can go training in Aus and no one bats an eyelid. In the UK she couldn't get 100 yards before she was being harassed.
Aug 2016
10:31pm, 1 Aug 2016
3,285 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
On another note, you can now play the sport of walking football, whereby you get booked for running...
Aug 2016
10:33pm, 1 Aug 2016
10,393 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
How or why did your daughter get in to race walking ?
Aug 2016
10:34pm, 1 Aug 2016
1,721 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
That's for old gits like me. Its fun though - I have a relative with late onset MS who I play with sometimes. He gets a lot out of it .
Aug 2016
10:41pm, 1 Aug 2016
1,722 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Sorry Bazoaxe that was about walking football.

She entered a race aged 12 as an afterthought at a school sports meet. Won it by miles. She got approached by a couple of coaches and it sort of went from there. She was always a runner as well - and a pretty good one. She liked the technical aspect of the walks more though.
Aug 2016
6:03am, 2 Aug 2016
1,161 posts
  •  
stuart little
I think that's how most people start FR. One of my friends (2 time Olympian at 50k walk) discovered he was good at it after being persuaded to do the old Sheffield star walk as part of a work outing, then placed highly and was spotted by one of the local coaches.

It's an incredibly technical thing to do, but the skill is often lost in the "look at how funny they walk" or "well they're all running anyway" comments.
Aug 2016
7:57am, 2 Aug 2016
1,723 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
The old Star Walk was a case in point. A real community event. Only about the first half dozen or so were well known the rest were beginners. There were always talent spotters there. Shame its stopped now.

(Incidentally if anyone's ever looking for the ladies trophy its up in my loft. My younger daughter won the final staging of it and no one ever asked for the trophy back)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bazoaxe
I stumbled across this earlier

bbc.co.uk

Some of ...