Race Walking - Why?

2 watchers
Jul 2017
12:59pm, 9 Jul 2017
6,037 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I know this has been said ad nauseam but watching the walkers in the London Anniversary games, it could be more accurately defined as "trying to look like you aren't running" - fair play to Bosworth with 5:31 for the mile but doesn't that tell its own story?
Jul 2017
1:01pm, 9 Jul 2017
6,038 posts
  •  
The_Saint
The slow motion replays aren't helping their cause as they are clearly showing both feet off the ground
Jul 2017
1:01pm, 9 Jul 2017
8,375 posts
  •  
Ness
I also wonder why people choose this event. It must be such a strain on the knees and ankles.
Jul 2017
5:11pm, 9 Jul 2017
12,872 posts
  •  
RichHL
You might as well ask "Running - why?" The answer is the same: because.
Jul 2017
7:37pm, 9 Jul 2017
8,376 posts
  •  
Ness
True
Jul 2017
7:57pm, 9 Jul 2017
11,543 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I dont agree they are the same. Running is running, race walking has rules that seem to be able to be abused or are nigh on impossible to verify and enforce.
Jul 2017
8:21pm, 9 Jul 2017
6,039 posts
  •  
The_Saint
With running are there rules about where feet are allowed to be that I am unaware of?
Running is as old as the human species, I'm not sure that power mincing is.
A thought has occurred, my Forerunner 630 will measure ground contact time, stride length and cadence, would it be beyond the wit of science to use these to continuously monitor a "not runner"?
With Track and Field events, some prompt the Why? for me - including Triple Jump, Pole Vault, Discus and Hammer and others seem entirely natural - How fast can you run over X distance? How high can you jump? How far can you jump, How far can you throw your spear? How far can you hurl a heavy object?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by The_Saint
I know this has been said ad nauseam but watching the walkers in the London Anniversary games, it co...