Race the Machine

7 watchers
Mar 2022
9:24pm, 11 Mar 2022
38,031 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Been stalked by an advert here on Fetch tonight.
I haven't actually done a proper race for a good 5 years.

I clicked on the link and having given it a quick read, I am kinda interested. The blurb suggests that it is relative to your Riegel score, so it sounds like it is a reasonable target (i.e. acheiveable but a fair challenge)

So a couple of questions:

1) Did anyone do this challenge last year?
2) If so, how were the times you received from the machine? Easy, reasonable, challenging or tough?
3) Can Fetchies still use virtual races/challenges like this to count on our race portfolio and our WAVA rating?

I feel like a decent challenge this year, and this sounds like a decent fit.
Mar 2022
9:39pm, 11 Mar 2022
38,048 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Would help if I put a link in :-)

racethemachine.co.uk
Mar 2022
11:04pm, 11 Mar 2022
24,481 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I like the idea of that - and it’s not stupidly priced for the series
Wouldn’t be too difficult to set up your own targets, there’s a Reigel calculator on here
(Wonders how easy/ethical it would be for Fetch to have a similar “machine”)
Mar 2022
8:24am, 12 Mar 2022
1,129 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Would be a cool idea for an other game here at fetch.
Mar 2022
10:23am, 12 Mar 2022
First-time poster!!
  •  
The Machines Assistant
At the risk of continuing the stalking 😆 I thought I would answer some of these questions and say thanks for the comments.

Race The Machine is based on Riegel, but a buffer is factored in and gently removed as you progress through the series. So after a generous start the challenge comes in beating The Machine 6 times over the series - So far Mike Forbes has managed 5 out of 6 - racethemachine.co.uk

Last year I trialled RTM with my running club and a few intrepid souls - so it is unlikely anyone on here took part.

It's nice to hear that it doesn't seem too expensive - I am just aiming to cover costs this year and spread the word. It would also be nice to build in a charitable element - but it is a bit early to commit to that.

All abilities are welcome and it would be great to have some of you on board. 👍🏻
Mar 2022
11:03am, 12 Mar 2022
24,483 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Wellcome to Fetch forums :)

I’m liking your idea - will this run for the whole year? I have a very different sort of target training for the next few months, but come the summer it looks like a great challenge to add to road race targets
Mar 2022
7:31pm, 12 Mar 2022
38,049 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Thanks for the responses. Nice to get one from the Assistant too :-)

I think that I am going to give it a bash. The bits that appeal to me are that I enjoy training for races but don't particularly enjoy races! Also the price point is attractive too.

It will be cool to set myself a challenge which incorporates the training element but I can pick and choose the order of the races and as well as set the dates that fit with my schedule.

I will keep this thread running and post my progress and hope that others may be encouraged to take on their own race against the machine, posting their experiences too.

Any advice in which order to take complete the races:

1500 Metres, 3K, 5 Miles, 10K, 10 Miles and Half Marathon

My initial logic is to do them in order and progress distance wise. Or should I mix them up a little?
Mar 2022
7:35pm, 12 Mar 2022
24,488 posts
  •  
Rosehip
When you have raced, did your longer ones get close to the predicted times from the shorter? - if they’re in your log on here you should be able to tell
Mar 2022
7:42pm, 12 Mar 2022
38,054 posts
  •  
Seratonin
I haven't raced since 2015 Rosehip.

I did a half marathon in 2.10 which was well off my PB of 1.57
I also did a 10k was within a minute of my 49:16 PB

I am coming up to 62 years old so past my peak but have been running consistently 700+ miles a year for a few years now.

Probably my optimum distance is 10k. I usually run every other day and manage at least 13 to 18 miles per week.
Mar 2022
8:02pm, 12 Mar 2022
2 posts
  •  
The Machines Assistant
Thanks Rosehip, yes the challenge will run for the entirety of 2022, so the earlier people enter the more time they will have to pick their way through the series. One person finished the series in February though. Hope to have you along at some point. Let me know if you do - always good to hear where entrants come from.

About This Thread

Maintained by Seratonin
Been stalked by an advert here on Fetch tonight.
I haven't actually done a proper race for a good 5 years.

I clicked on the link and having given it a quick read, I am kinda interested. The blurb suggests that it is relative to your Riegel score, so it sounds like it is a reasonable target (i.e. acheiveable but a fair challenge)

So a couple of questions:

1) Did anyone do this challenge last year?
2) If so, how were the times you received from the machine? Easy, reasonable, challe...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.