Race organisers (and entrants) - a few questions

1 watcher
Nov 2016
10:42am, 22 Nov 2016
27,964 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Okay a couple of polls just added - well 3 - about policies over entries, refunds etc

Do you hold back entries for fast lads? Do you open entries to clubs first?
What do you do for transfers, refunds etc?

We had a sell out race recently and have had one comment that local "front end" runners were "blocked" from entering because the race had sold out 4 weeks before race date. Do need to add that entries opened in January and the last place was filled on 3 October. Am I as race director to blame for that? Or is it the runners' responsibility?
Nov 2016
10:52am, 22 Nov 2016
3,632 posts
  •  
Nelly
OC - I'm not a race organiser, but a few comments

The first two polls are under "Race Polls" but the last is under "Chat Polls", so I may be easier to delete the last one, so they're all in the same place?

If a race sold out in less than a month (for example) I'd expect it reasonable to hold back some places for quicker runners, however, IMO whoever said that to you is being totally unreasonable given entries were open for 9months! Plus it's only 4 weeks until race day, surely they'd know their race schedule a bit further in advance than that?

If I were a race organiser I think I would either a) sell up to race limit and allow transfers, at a small cost to cover admin, or b) oversubscribe the race by 10-15% and not allow transfers. As an entrant, neither approach would put me of, as long as it is clear prior to entry.
Nov 2016
10:55am, 22 Nov 2016
27,965 posts
  •  
Old Croc
had spotted was in wrong category - took a few attempts to change!
Nov 2016
11:06am, 22 Nov 2016
34,899 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It appears to be the case hereabouts that if one of the genuine sharp end runners hasn't managed to enter before the official closing date or before the race is full, they just need to 'phone/email the RD and they'll get a place. As someone who is a long way from the front of the race, I think this is reasonable. The problem, I suppose, is if people start to decide that they're "entitled" to a place for all sorts of random reasons.
Nov 2016
11:11am, 22 Nov 2016
27,966 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I was talking about a full race field.
Nov 2016
12:49pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,216 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I do wish all race organisers would allow transfers or deferrals. As someone who never knows if they are going to be in a fit state to take part in a race, I don't dare enter one where I will lose my money if I'm injured. A small admin fee for the transfer would be OK.
Nov 2016
1:27pm, 22 Nov 2016
34,900 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I suppose one of the joys of being a race organiser is that you'll never please everyone.
Nov 2016
1:30pm, 22 Nov 2016
533 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Agreed, FDNB. Falling ill cost me a fair bit of money in September. :-(
Nov 2016
1:39pm, 22 Nov 2016
27,967 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Last year we had a waiting list - of 30 and all places were taken it was an admin nightmare - that on top of transfers added up to a job in itself in run up to race.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Old Croc
Okay a couple of polls just added - well 3 - about policies over entries, refunds etc

Do you hold...