Race Fee Protection

6 watchers
May 2022
5:41pm, 5 May 2022
17,447 posts
  •  
jennywren
I’ve had money back through Active Refund before - very simple, no questions asked.
May 2022
5:42pm, 5 May 2022
756 posts
  •  
JenHB
I know that I was able to defer Robin Hood Half Marathon last year - for that needed a doctor/physio letter.
May 2022
9:22am, 6 May 2022
13,726 posts
  •  
Sigh
The only time I've paid for something similar - and used it - was for the B'ham Black Country HM in 2020, when the race was cancelled due to further Covid restrictions. I still had to chase for the refund, though.

Just checked and over 9 years I've had 15 DNS and 2 DNF's :-O
May 2022
9:26am, 6 May 2022
21,353 posts
  •  
Ness
That sounds quite low really, Sigh, considering the volume of races you do. You do a lot more races than me! From what I recall, I’ve had three where I DNS but no DNF’s.
May 2022
9:29am, 6 May 2022
13,728 posts
  •  
Sigh
I'm being sensible now, Ness; doing less each year and being selective :-)
May 2022
11:54am, 6 May 2022
21,358 posts
  •  
Ness
Sounds like a plan. I’m hoping to do more but space them out better!
May 2022
12:24pm, 6 May 2022
798 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
I'm doing less than ever - need to get my race mojo back
May 2022
12:27pm, 6 May 2022
1,072 posts
  •  
paulcook
I've only bought this once so far, and that was for an ultra and I considered the extra cost for it small in comparison to the race fee. Most of my other races I don't mind losing the race fee as for the races, they tend not to be that expensive and the money goes to cover costs and then charity anyway.

Hadn't even considered the difficulty of chasing it through evidence, especially as I agree with the above post about insurance companies (moreso having previously worked in insurance).
May 2022
12:29pm, 6 May 2022
21,968 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm currently trying to find out if an additional "Ticket Protection Insurance" product offered by my Revolut card at a small monthly cost covers race entries. I've gone from racing regularly to running only high-value races a couple of times a year, so if it does, its an extra level of reassurance.
May 2022
11:02pm, 6 May 2022
6,766 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I don't do it for short distance local races but usually do for the Loch Ness Marathon for OH and for myself when I was still running. I got a full refund in 2018 when I had to cancel.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jenni-far-far
I was unable to run the Shakespeare marathon due to horrible cough and cold - but luckily I've lately started paying for race fee protection. I tried to make a claim today but it requires 2 pieces of evidence of illness including a doctors note! this seems unreasonable or am I just naive?
one things for sure I wont bother in future. Do others pay for it?