Race Fee Protection

6 watchers
May 2022
2:36pm, 5 May 2022
795 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
I was unable to run the Shakespeare marathon due to horrible cough and cold - but luckily I've lately started paying for race fee protection. I tried to make a claim today but it requires 2 pieces of evidence of illness including a doctors note! this seems unreasonable or am I just naive?
one things for sure I wont bother in future. Do others pay for it?
May 2022
2:43pm, 5 May 2022
11,195 posts
  •  
lammo
Didn't even know it was thing, bit frustrating for you though
May 2022
2:53pm, 5 May 2022
45,375 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
That's a bit of a blow! I can't even think what the second piece of evidence would be unless it was something really serious.

I have seen this on some races, but I don't think I would ever pay for it. I was going to say that I might if I was going overseas, but then again travel insurance would cover the big items such as plane ticket and accommodation; I wonder if it would also pick up a race fee?
May 2022
2:58pm, 5 May 2022
57,839 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've seen this on some race entry forms too, and always decided that the likelihood of needing to claim was so low that it wasn't worth paying the additional amount. Not surprised, though. Insurance is all about trying to avoid paying out.
May 2022
3:00pm, 5 May 2022
5,114 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I suppose that if your doctor would charge you for such a note, then only worthwhile if cost of race entry is higher than doctors fee
May 2022
3:03pm, 5 May 2022
796 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
I thought to myself since Ive joined a club (FERC) and that gives me a saving I would invest in a bit of payment protection

I dint think Ive ever DNS before so at least Ive found out now and will save myself the cost in future :)
May 2022
3:12pm, 5 May 2022
4,175 posts
  •  
jabberknit
It's probably highly dependent on the company offering the insurance as to what hoops they make you jump through to claim. I couldn't run the Milton Keynes last Monday, and had bought the entry insurance offered because I've had a lot of injury probs for the last year, so wasn't really expecting to be able to do it. I had absolutely no issues at all with the process they offered, the only thing I had to do was tick a box on a form stating my withdrawal was due to injury, and my entry money has been returned.

This was what their email said when they confirmed my purchase:

"Here are some helpful tips to remember:

Take your time. You can request a refund for your registration anytime, so long as it is more than 48 hours before the activity date.
No games. You are covered for the amount listed above!
No pop quizzes. You don’t need documentation for your refund request. When you say you can’t go because you were injured during training, your buddy bailed, or you just aren’t feeling it anymore – we’ve got you!
No wait times. In most cases, your request can be handled entirely online, so that’s 0 time spent on hold and 0 time wasted.
This is just for you. Your activity registration may be transferrable to a friend in some cases, but ACTIVE Refund is not.
Keep your Reference ID handy. You will find this information above for each activity or participant.
No take backs. If you request a refund on your registration, the organizer will be notified that you forfeit your spot in the activity.
Event cancellations are a different story. If your activity is flat-out cancelled, postponed, or virtualized, your registration can no longer be refunded through ACTIVE Refund. Next steps are up to the activity organizer."

Very pleased with the whole process.
May 2022
3:17pm, 5 May 2022
797 posts
  •  
Jenni-far-far
wow jabberknit thats excellent

mine was with "Booking Protect"
May 2022
5:02pm, 5 May 2022
21,344 posts
  •  
Ness
I hadn’t thought about taking insurance. As you know, I also didn’t run the Shakespeare Half. This was because I was starting to feel a calf strain that I didn’t want to have develop into a full blown tear.
May 2022
5:37pm, 5 May 2022
55 posts
  •  
premierfella
I'm surprised running events would hook up with companies like Booking Protect, for the very reason @Jenni-far-far found. Maybe its some sort of add-on to event insurance that providers think helps sell the event tickets (and it probably does). And maybe I'm unusual, but when I looked at the terms of it for an event I was interested in, it actually put me off the event as it felt like a dishonest sell to me. I'm sure BPs insurance must have been originally designed for expensive concert and festival tickets and similar, where it might actually be worth jumping through the hoops.

Those like the Active one mentioned in relation to MK Marathon are at the other end of the spectrum, and actually worth having for the injury-prone. So kudos to them.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jenni-far-far
I was unable to run the Shakespeare marathon due to horrible cough and cold - but luckily I've lately started paying for race fee protection. I tried to make a claim today but it requires 2 pieces of evidence of illness including a doctors note! this seems unreasonable or am I just naive?
one things for sure I wont bother in future. Do others pay for it?