Question: trail races and trail shoes

4 watchers
Jun 2020
10:36am, 2 Jun 2020
35,051 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, like fozzy and flanker and others have said, I think that's a really strange "rule".

Is it really a rule? Or just guidance?

Much more common is that an off road race would describe the terrain and have recommendations about how extreme it is, to allow the participant to make an informed decision about which of their (hopefully many types of!) running shoes to choose from!

For instance, as others have said, a smooth, dry, packed trail, esp in ultras, a runner may choose a cushioned road shoe, a lightweight road shoe etc. Either for speed or comfort.

If it's wet, muddy, rocky etc. you need different grip and protection of course and the participant would make that choice.

Finally, in longer ultras (50 miles plus?) with checkpoints and either support or drop bags, some runners would choose to change for different sections.

Enjoy your trail ultra Gordon. Could you post a link to the website and its rules/guidance re the shoes? :-) G
Jun 2020
10:36am, 2 Jun 2020
35,052 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, that was Saint not flanker on page 1 re experience. :-) G
Jun 2020
10:39am, 2 Jun 2020
35,053 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
In terms of checks, I'd also agree, the main thing is usually warmth/ waterproof full body cover for survival if caught out and exposed to elements, bivvy bag or foil cover (for same), map, compass, whistle (for navigation and attention), adequate food / hydration (for obvious reasons!) etc.

These can be checked *very rigorously* in some races, quite rightly, especially in winter or in higher or remote locations. :-) G
Jun 2020
10:41am, 2 Jun 2020
69,931 posts
  •  
Gobi
it is a strange one, I have won trail races in racing flats. Sorry but shoe choice is personal, can be advised for sure but mandated seems very strange.
Jun 2020
10:46am, 2 Jun 2020
696 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Almost every race I have seen is "shoes appropriate to the conditions", if you turn up for a muddy wet race with steep climbs in lightweight road shoes the RD would be within their right to stop you, but to make it mandatory is odd.
um
Jun 2020
10:51am, 2 Jun 2020
2,568 posts
  •  
um
I'd sort of assume (& hope) that anyone entering a 50km has some idea of what they're getting in to?

Although I wonder if it's an insurance thing, or they've had an incident in the past?
Or maybe just stopping anyone hoping to gain an advantage with Next%'s ?
Jun 2020
11:15am, 2 Jun 2020
69,933 posts
  •  
Gobi
That is my point to a TEE Sam
Jun 2020
11:30am, 2 Jun 2020
6,100 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Happy, itโ€™s this one

edenvalleyrace.com

Scroll down to mandatory kit
Jun 2020
3:47pm, 2 Jun 2020
11,186 posts
  •  
larkim
It's also quite strongly worded in the FAQ - "Yes, it is compulsory to wear trail running shoes. The course is predominately off-road on public footpaths where the ground will be soft and uneven." I'm going to guess that one year they held it someone broke an ankle due to it being wet and them wearing road shoes, so now they have to be prescriptive. Or some other such tale.

I've got trail and road shoes, and to be honest at the moment the road shoes grip just fine on the dry ground. But when it's even a little bit wet....
Jun 2020
12:51am, 3 Jun 2020
528 posts
  •  
funkyPOM
Never seen shoes mandated. Did this last year and there was a guy running in sandals, he was faster than me - https://www.4peaks.com.au/.

I also did the surf coast marathon (very wet day) and was in between off roaders so wore my old road shoes (no grip). I slipped around alot but that added to the fun

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
Hi all

i'm thinking of doing a trail race ultra (50k) later in the year. one of the rules o...