Question re womens bike sizes (Boardman)

1 watcher
Sep 2012
9:11pm, 10 Sep 2012
2,804 posts
  •  
sallykate
Confused.com here...

I am getting a Boardman road bike through cycle to work. Or at least I think I am...the largest frame size they do is 52.5cm (= 20.5") (see Halfords halfords.com and Boardman's site http://www.boardmanbikes.com/fi/fi_road_comp.html).

I'm 1.74m, or 5'9" in old money. Halfords size guide suggests that the frame size is OK but Evans size guide would have me on a much larger frame (and fitted a friend of mine who's shorter than me with a 54cm Specialized bike & it feels perfectly fine to her).

So I'm confused now. I'm sure Boardman wouldn't make their largest bikes unsuitable for taller women but why the discrepancy? Is it a brand thing?

When I go to collect the real thing and get it properly set up what do I need to be looking out for? If I need a bigger frame I'll go for something different but as I'm sort of stuck with Halfords that would mean getting a men's bike instead, from what I can see.

I'm not about to start cycling hundreds of miles each week; the bike will mainly be for a short commute but I wanted something which would be fine for longer weekend rides (say up to 50 miles) too, and avoid any repeat of my one triathlon experience to date where I laboured up a little hill at Crystal Palace on a heavy hybrid being overtaken by gazelle-like bike beauties. So I mainly want to be sure it's comfortable and fit for purpose.

Can anyone either reassure me that the largest Boardman will be OK, or help me decide what size I should be getting? (Obv will be seeking help from Halfords too when I go to get it fitted).
Sep 2012
9:33pm, 10 Sep 2012
78 posts
  •  
beebop
Is there a problem with getting a man's bike? I'm only 5'7" and I get on fine with my officially 'male' bike - I found the women's version they were trying to sell me was too short between saddle and handlebars and too close to the ground for comfort...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what experts look at when fitting bikes to people, but I went with what felt right, and haven't regretted it. My previous bike was an official women's bike supposedly correct for my height (I won it in a competition) and it felt nowhere near as good.

Hope you get some people who know more than I do weighing in! Can't remember the frame size, so I know nothing useful, really...
Sep 2012
9:39pm, 10 Sep 2012
2,806 posts
  •  
sallykate
thanks beebop :-)

I don't have a problem with a men's bike and in fact was a bit suspicious of the women's label - I've read it's something to do with women typically having longer legs in proportion to height than men. I just want what's right really but as I've never had a (decent) road bike I'm not sure what I need to be looking out for in terms of riding position or whatever.
Sep 2012
9:41pm, 10 Sep 2012
17,088 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Bikes tend to be differently proportioned according to manufacturer. For instance, Treks tend to have long top tubes. Thus the difficulty is trying to theorise which bike size is right - it can only be done by trying them. The best bike is the one that feels comfy and you want to ride.
Sep 2012
9:47pm, 10 Sep 2012
79 posts
  •  
beebop
Ah. Can't help you there as I know nowt about it. Surely somebody will be along soon with techno-savvy response!
Sep 2012
9:54pm, 10 Sep 2012
1,279 posts
  •  
Just Matt
Can you not visit a Halfrauds and sit on some of different sizes? Failing that, isn't it the case that they can actually order pretty much ANY bike from ANY lbs for you? So you don't have to stick with Boardman, you may be better with something else?

I'd be loathed to recommend anything you can't sit on, and if the staff can't give you advice, or you can't go with someone who knows then I'd try somewhere else?
Sep 2012
10:02pm, 10 Sep 2012
18,185 posts
  •  
idio
I'm male 5'7" ride a 52 cm After I brought mine I looked at the female version which measures 51 cm and on paper I would have preferred the female size (plus it was a better colour) though i'm happy with my choice.

One of the best thing to do is test ride especially if you're not sure of the sizing you require. I was also under the same impression as Just Matt that you should be able to get nearly any make through the dealer though I might be wrong.
Sep 2012
10:17pm, 10 Sep 2012
2,807 posts
  •  
sallykate
I am tied to Halfords through the scheme (unfortunately) but yes, in theory I'm sure I could get any brand I wanted. I'd read that Boardman were good bikes for the money so that's why as a total novice it was my first choice. And will test the 52.5cm when it arrives but they don't have masses in stock.

maybe I'm just expecting too much but how do I know that what feels comfy when I'm riding it round a car park (I imagine I'll be blown away by riding any decent bike) will still be comfy when I've done 50 miles?

all the comments are much appreciated, I have always loved riding bikes (generally very bad ones) and am v excited at the thought of a decent one but it feels like a significant outlay and want to be sure I'm not going to regret my choice.
Sep 2012
10:45pm, 10 Sep 2012
17,089 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
In a car park you'll at least be able to tell if the top tube is too long and you're putting a load of weight through your arms and shoulders. Does it feel like you can control it? Can you reach everything you need to reach?

Boardmans are good value but finding a decent Halfords is the difficulty.
Sep 2012
11:17pm, 10 Sep 2012
2,809 posts
  •  
sallykate
That's helpful SW, thank you.

If the size is right there's a local place that can set it up properly if need be (not a bike shop, they service and build but don't sell ready-made).

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Confused.com here...

I am getting a Boardman road bike through cycle to work. Or at least I think...