Question for cyclists about gloves!

3 watchers
Dec 2013
10:19am, 6 Dec 2013
445 posts
  •  
beebop
Can anyone recommend some good gloves or glove liners for keeping hands warm on the bike? Has anyone tried the heated ones, and are they as awkward as they look? A lot of things I've looked at seem too bulky for cycling, but I would love to find some gloves which keep my fingers warm enough for them to move once I get off the bike...

Any suggestions? :-) Apart from the obvious MTFU...
Dec 2013
10:29am, 6 Dec 2013
3,556 posts
  •  
daviec
I'm watching thread now. I'm ok whilst I'm on the bike, but the pain in my fingers when my hands start to heat back up at work could bring a tear to my eye!
Dec 2013
10:31am, 6 Dec 2013
24,123 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I had some neoprene ones a while back - took a while to warm up but once warmed they were toasty
Dec 2013
10:34am, 6 Dec 2013
171 posts
  •  
fraggle
I got some thin gloves from decathlon that are the dogs doo-dahs. They're thin silk like one for wearing under ski gloves, and I wear then under some gore win stopper gloves = toasty hands :-)
Dec 2013
10:39am, 6 Dec 2013
3,717 posts
  •  
Garfield
I have some windstopper North Face gloves that would work well. Not too bulky but can slip undergloves into them for additional warmth.
Dec 2013
10:47am, 6 Dec 2013
422 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I used fleece windstopper ones for years, which were good, especially with a thin merino liner glove. Now I have the Prendas Air Tunnel ones, which are also good on very cold days if worn with a merino liner

prendas.co.uk

There are a few sealskinz gloves people recommend, I'm not sure which model, but the options are here: sealskinz.com

They have the benefit of being waterproof.

That link includes the lobster style mitt which people seem to like on very cold days; like a split mitt. There are a few brands of this style if you can cope with them, including gore.

Finally, there are pogies which stay on the bars not your hands. I've only used pogies in a kayak, not a bike, but they work well there, and allow you to wear any gloves under them. I think there are heated versions used by (motor) bikers, farmers on quad bikes, and Arctic fat bikers. hotpog.co.uk
Dec 2013
10:57am, 6 Dec 2013
3,798 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
another vote for sealskin gloves, mine are great but are really useful below 5C as above that I find my hands get very clammy.
Dec 2013
11:26am, 6 Dec 2013
2,738 posts
  •  
Lalli
Another Sealskins vote here.
Dec 2013
11:32am, 6 Dec 2013
28,361 posts
  •  
Raptors claws are coming to town
I like my Sealskinz cycling gloves too. Mine are no longer waterproof, but that's not a problem - they're warm and windproof, and if it's really cold and wet out then I'll wear surgical gloves either under or over my inner gloves.

And arm warmers. Hate the look, but I'm starting to think that everyone else really has known something that I didn't know all along. Not for running, mind, arm warmers and a vest is beyond the pale.
Dec 2013
11:41am, 6 Dec 2013
15,058 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've been wearing a pair of "woollen" magic gloves (that expand to fit any hand) under a track mitt. Basically what I wear to run, with a track mitt over.

Is that wrong?

About This Thread

Maintained by beebop
Can anyone recommend some good gloves or glove liners for keeping hands warm on the bike? Has anyone...