query from a newbie to this whole running thing.

2 watchers
Apr 2019
6:19pm, 15 Apr 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
irish dave
Hi, quickish query to whoever wants to answer, late last year i was comfortably able for 5k's so i decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and do a marathon, (i never said i was smart) i suppose its a bucket list type thing, im gradually moving up to that distance, Last week i managed 23k with next saturdays run supposedly being 24.5k. during the week ( tuesday and thursday i generally try and do a run about 10k less than my saturday run, the marathon that im going for is on in june. so heres my inital question, do i keep going 3 times a week or do i drop one of the smaller runs and just do a saturday and wednesday run? if anyone has any kind of advice as well im all ears.
Apr 2019
6:24pm, 15 Apr 2019
1,067 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Welcome to fetch :)
Def. keep the third run, to make your marathon as comfortable as possible you should be running as often as you can, within reason and your ability to recover from it.

You've left yourself a bit late with training to get from just over a half marathon to a full in around 8-10 weeks. What are you hoping for out of the experience - just to get round?
Apr 2019
6:24pm, 15 Apr 2019
41,316 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Are you still coping OK with the three runs as you increase the distance of each one?
Apr 2019
6:29pm, 15 Apr 2019
2 posts
  •  
irish dave
heya thanks for the feed back ill try and answer as i read them, my intention for the marathon is to simply survive it with as much 'enjoyment' as possible ( remember bucket list type thing.) im coping ok with the three runs im just sounding out to see if my approach is solid or do i need to change tack and muster on. thanks for the answers
Apr 2019
6:38pm, 15 Apr 2019
1,068 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I wouldn't call your approach 'solid' - another 19k on top of your current longest run (as you don't log your training here I'm guessing this is true) is a big ask in that sort of timescale - but you don't have many other options...
How do you feel after your saturday run? Like you could do it all again?
Apr 2019
6:44pm, 15 Apr 2019
3 posts
  •  
irish dave
true, its not any kind of solid approach, but also there isn't any time limit on this i reckon my time will be 5 hours + so Im not expecting anything major, when i finish my long Saturday runs i am quiet spent TBH
Apr 2019
6:52pm, 15 Apr 2019
1,069 posts
  •  
oumaumau
A few more questions for you:
Are you running each run at around the same pace, or taking it easier for the longer run? How long did it take to complete your 23k?
Are you generally active?
Apr 2019
6:52pm, 15 Apr 2019
41,317 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If you're coping with your training load I wouldn't advise dropping any of your runs. What it may be worth doing is reducing the length of one of the weekday runs but including a couple of faster miles if you don't already. You won't be optimally trained for this marathon, but you won't be the only one there who isn't optimally trained and you'll come away with a better idea of what to do to train for the next one ;)
Apr 2019
6:57pm, 15 Apr 2019
4 posts
  •  
irish dave
A few more questions for you:

Are you running each run at around the same pace, or taking it easier for the longer run?

pretty much the same pace for all 3 runs.

How long did it take to complete your 23k? about 2hours 45 mins but im not counting.

Are you generally active? i have an office job so during the day im not so active but this is a vehicle to try and change that...

but you won't be the only one there who isn't optimally trained and you'll come away with a better idea of what to do to train for the next one ;)
NEXT ONE??????
Apr 2019
7:02pm, 15 Apr 2019
1,070 posts
  •  
oumaumau
There's almost always a next one dave... ;)
I'd consider a run/walk strategy based on the above - there's a thread for that here : fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=56059
Best of luck

About This Thread

Maintained by irish dave
Hi, quickish query to whoever wants to answer, late last year i was comfortably able for 5k's s...