Qualiifications advice???? any teachers out there??

2 watchers
Aug 2011
3:15pm, 25 Aug 2011
1,749 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
The GCSE results coming out today made me think back to 21 years ago when i got mine and they meant nothing to me because i had no intention of doing A levels i wanted to get a job and my parent were quite happy to take my £10 board off of me so didnt encourage me to do A levels despite getting all B and C grades....anyway it was my decision... i pootled about in an accounts dept for 10 years then fell into my perfect career in the fitnes industry I have a few NVQs in Gym and free weights/exercise to music plus tonnes of other so have sat anatomy and physiology exams a dozen times....but now I wanting to be a PE teacher...i have no A Levels...Im assuming I need some to get on a sports science degree course??? will any of my fitness quals count as an A level??....if not how do i go about doing an A level part time (like from home??) as with the 3 kids and a hubby whos never here my time is limited until son#3 starts school....any advice at all would be appreciated...
Aug 2011
3:21pm, 25 Aug 2011
226 posts
  •  
Mrs mjb
RMO3B - Hi - nice to hear from you. It might be worth looking on the University of Bedford (?Bedfordshire) as I know they do a sports degree of some description. The other thing is my sister back in the late 80s early 90s did a sports science degree. Her course was 3 years I think with the option of a 4th year to convert to a sport's teachers degree. Happy hunting :-)
Aug 2011
3:22pm, 25 Aug 2011
1,458 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I started a degree course a few years ago with very few quals. A lot of courses are modular these days so you go into the 1st year and complete HNC, if you survive that 2nd year is HND, 3rd year Degree, 4th year Honours bit. As a mature student your old quals are usually less important than your attitude and willingness to study. You should ask your local course provider. I'm sure they will bend over backwards to help you get into the right course.

Good luck.
Aug 2011
3:25pm, 25 Aug 2011
1,750 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
hi thanks guys... do i not need A levels to get on a degree course?...i am going to get onto Bedford uni, I am thinking about starting this in sept 2012 when youngest at school full time but i thought till then i could try and get an A level under my belt??
Aug 2011
3:29pm, 25 Aug 2011
6,082 posts
  •  
CrazyLegs
Some of the mature students who did Environmental Science at Brum Uni with me didn't have A-levels, they had completed an access course which lasted for 12 months and was equivalent to A-levels.

I can't offer you any more advice but all I can say is go for it and good luck :-) :-)
Aug 2011
3:30pm, 25 Aug 2011
1,751 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
aaaaaaaaaaaah an access course thanks CL i have heard of that! i think my sis in law took that when she was becoming a teacher :)
Aug 2011
3:32pm, 25 Aug 2011
6,084 posts
  •  
CrazyLegs
Does the Open University have any info on Access Courses? I'll ask my uni supervisor about access courses/A-levels tomorrow when he phones me.
Aug 2011
3:32pm, 25 Aug 2011
227 posts
  •  
Mrs mjb
RMO3B It might be worth contacting Bedford and see what they suggest
Aug 2011
3:33pm, 25 Aug 2011
5,643 posts
  •  
runner duck
you don't necessarily need a levels, rmo3b. i did an english degree at oxford brookes a few years ago and didn't have english a level (although i did have other a levels from back when dinosaurs still roamed) but i had done some study with ou.

i'd check with your local unis/fe colleges and see what they need. most admissions tutors are really helpful and they'll be fairly quiet in a week or so when all the freshers start and before the ucas forms start rolling in.

they might want you to do an access course instead, which i think you can do in a year depending on how much time you can spend on it.
Aug 2011
3:34pm, 25 Aug 2011
5,644 posts
  •  
runner duck
oops about 5 x posts there :)

About This Thread

Maintained by runningmumof3boys
The GCSE results coming out today made me think back to 21 years ago when i got mine and they meant ...