Quad / thigh went ping this morning

1 watcher
Aug 2012
8:49am, 7 Aug 2012
6,416 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
My quads have been tight since a sprint session at running club last week. Towards the end of yesterday's run, my right thigh got pretty tight and was a bit sore when I stretched it out.

This morning I knelt down and got a pretty sharp pain towards the top of the thigh, right in the middle. It's a fairly specific area and I can still feel it - it's not agony by any stretch of the imagination but it's definitely not right. I've foam rolled and taken ibuprofen.

Any ideas on what I've done? Just pulled a muscle? I'm thinking that if it was serious, it would have been too painful to foam roll, and that a couple of days rest and massage should sort it...hopefully.
Aug 2012
8:51am, 7 Aug 2012
19,271 posts
  •  
swittle
Cramp maybe?
Aug 2012
8:51am, 7 Aug 2012
9,646 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Too much birthday celebrating yesterday?? :-)
Aug 2012
8:59am, 7 Aug 2012
6,417 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Could be that Nick, I am a touch jaded this morning ;)

Swittle, it didn't feel like cramp normally does - more ping-y.
Aug 2012
9:01am, 7 Aug 2012
853 posts
  •  
Curly45
Oh might be a minor tear Mrs W! Just take it easy for a few days and ease into everything with LOTS of warm-up in case it gets worse.

*mutters swears about sprints session* We arent going to club this week as I need an ease back week to let my legs recover.

Hope the head feels better soon too ;)
Aug 2012
9:36am, 7 Aug 2012
4,431 posts
  •  
jonp
Sounds like a small thigh tear. Rest it for a week, and then see how it is. Take it easy.
Aug 2012
10:13am, 7 Aug 2012
6,418 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I don't think it's sore enough to be a tear - I reckon maybe a strain instead. Or perhaps I'm bing hopeful ;)

I'm going to cycle this evening, and lay off running for a couple of days- take ibuprofen and foam roll it, see how it is.
Aug 2012
12:36pm, 7 Aug 2012
4,432 posts
  •  
jonp
A strain is a tear. The question is just the degree of tear - as in how much muscle fibers are torn. Give it a few days, then go for a long walk and see how it feels. Don't set a time on getting back to running at least for a few days when you know how it is responding.
Aug 2012
1:35pm, 7 Aug 2012
6,419 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I've walked today, it's fine to be honest. I think the twang was worse than the after effect! I get the odd twinge, but no pain.
Aug 2012
3:02pm, 7 Aug 2012
2,017 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
MW - I'd highly recommend getting some sports massage son your qauds etc, it'll help avoid tightness turning into strains (which are tears) but you'll perform better too.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Winkle
My quads have been tight since a sprint session at running club last week. Towards the end of yester...