Putting on weight :(

4 watchers
Jun 2011
1:09pm, 1 Jun 2011
26 posts
  •  
PixieLady
I started running a couple of months ago, mainly as something to do but also because I wanted to get fit and lose weight. However, I've just weighed in again this morning and found out that I've put on more weight! I've put on nearly 1/2 stone since starting running. Is this normal??

It's lucky I actually enjoy running otherwise I'd be giving up right about now! :(
Jun 2011
1:17pm, 1 Jun 2011
7,554 posts
  •  
Pootle
When you run your speed up your metabolism, making you more hungry and wanting to eat more. Also, I don't know about others on here but I find when I am training a lot I crave crap like pizzas and chocolate and cake and have no interest in healthy eating.

Are you clothes tighter? As a runner you will have put on a lot of muscle which is very heavy and may explain away what the scales say. If your clothes still fit OK I really wouldn't worry too much.

Runners should orobably do away with scales to be fair and rely on body measurement instead imo.
Jun 2011
1:19pm, 1 Jun 2011
8,808 posts
  •  
LeGreg - 36% vaseline, 64% sawdust
Couple of possible answers...

1. Running does not change the basic equation that if you eat more than you burn, you'll put on weight. If you eat an extra Big Mac as a reward for running 5K, you will put weight on.

2. Muscle weighs more than fat. As a new runner, while you lose fat, you also build muscle, and it is not uncommon for the weight loss due to fat loss to be less than the weight gain due to muscle build-up. However, whet you should see is a change in body shape, typically losing inches round your waist and thighs. If that's not the case, then see answer no1.
Jun 2011
1:20pm, 1 Jun 2011
819 posts
  •  
JaneyM
Hi Pixielady, I agree with Pootle. I have been running loads recently and I know I am thinner cos my clothes fit tons better and I have had to pull my belt in four notches! But my weight will not shift from 11 stone when I go on the scales. I feel thinner, I am running better but the scales stay the same. Has to be muscle weight? Don't give up running, you get so much more from it as well as weight loss. :)
Jun 2011
1:22pm, 1 Jun 2011
24,217 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
This hole O is bigger than this o
Jun 2011
1:23pm, 1 Jun 2011
821 posts
  •  
JaneyM
What??????????
Jun 2011
1:23pm, 1 Jun 2011
9,342 posts
  •  
Ultracat
When I have been on a good long run I often think I am entitled to go home and stuff my face with junk food, after all I have earned it. Unfortunately this could mean I put on weight as I can eat more than I need.
Jun 2011
1:26pm, 1 Jun 2011
7,555 posts
  •  
Pootle
I think also when you have run for a few years your body gets used to it and gets more economic with the calories it burns that it did when you first stated out.

I run a fair bit (usually around 100 miles a month) and still have to watch what I stick in my gob if I want to stay the same weight. If I actually want to loose weight these days I have to up my distance *and* cut my diet.

Bar two days off last weekend for a wedding and the inevitable hangover I ran 40 miles that week, and lived on 1 1/2 bananas, a tuna sweetcorn sandwich, punnet of strawberries and 350 grams of some sort of pasta and a side salad each day. I lost 1/4 of a lb last week even after all that. Seriously soul destroying!
Jun 2011
1:28pm, 1 Jun 2011
24,219 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Input output

What goes in must come out
Jun 2011
1:29pm, 1 Jun 2011
7,556 posts
  •  
Pootle
Ultracat you are right, especially if you remember you are taking on sugary stuff like gels and energy drinks when you are running a long way. This kinda negates all the good calories you could be using to stuff your face later.

About This Thread

Maintained by PixieLady
I started running a couple of months ago, mainly as something to do but also because I wanted to get...