Pulmonary Embolism

3 watchers
Jun 2016
4:34pm, 9 Jun 2016
4 posts
  •  
chrisp1
What are peoples experiences returning to training after a Pulmonary Ebolism,Hospital said fine to run just a bit nervous to start
Jun 2016
10:08pm, 9 Jun 2016
30,250 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I'm afraid I have no experienced advice to offer.

Totally understand why you might be a bit nervous though! I guess if the hospital says it is fine to run then it's just a matter of starting off really easy and with shorts runs.

Hopefully someone with either personal experience or medical knowledge will be along soon.

Good luck!
Jun 2016
11:54pm, 9 Jun 2016
23,859 posts
  •  
McGoohan
This'll drop off the radar tomorrow so I'll try to bump the thread for you...
Jun 2016
2:56am, 10 Jun 2016
2,315 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Chrisp1, I have had multiple incidents with CVTs which led to PEs. I will be happy to chat with you about this. Was the underlying cause of the clotting determined? Do you have a condition, possibly Factor V Lieden? Briefly, I had a serious incident 6 years ago that lended me in hospital. I was able to recover and return to running starting about a month later. I was 53 at the time, and a sub-three hour marathoner. I eventually ran a sub-three marathon in Boston to complete my comeback. I had a second incident last September. I was on the mend from that when I tore my hamstring very badly in February, so I am just now beginning to run well again. Ask me anything about how I managed my recovery, how I had a second incident, why I am sure I will not have a third, or whatever you are curious about.
Jun 2016
12:03pm, 10 Jun 2016
9,013 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I have Factor V Leiden.

I had about multiple bilateral PEs in 2010, couple weeks in hospital as it was pretty severe, there were an awful lot of big clots. Needed to be on oxygen for quite a long time before I could go home. Had a further week off work when I came home, then I went back to running (slowly at first as I kept getting light headed) maybe a week or 2 after that. I ran a half marathon a week later, a marathon a week after that and a 70 mile 2 day ultra the following weekend.

I was also a little nervous at first, and did have to walk up a few hills (that weren't really proper hills, just up-slopes) on my first few runs as I was breathless, but I felt better for doing something. It got easier quite quickly though, I think you just have to trust your instinct and listen to your own body. I didn't have any problems once I'd started back, I think it was only the first couple of weeks that were very slow, then it got more natural again. Good luck. If it doesn't feel right, just stop.
Jul 2016
1:59pm, 25 Jul 2016
3,306 posts
  •  
ndellar
I too am in this boat - was advised by the Dr to wait 8 weeks before running and I'm still in that period. Mine was very likely caused by the contraceptive pill. Larger clot on right lung just gave me pain, smaller one on left would never have known if it wasn't for the scan. Wasn't actually admitted to hospital, only symptoms were bad pain and being very subtly out of breath when rushing about - lucky to be diagnosed and treated so quickly.

From the walks and light gym stuff I've done, I don't feel that my lung function is impaired (but not tried to do anything hard obv)

Frank you must be doing quite high mileage at times, I generally do 30-50mpw sometimes a little more when marathon training. So I'd be interested to hear anything about how you recovered.

ChrisP1 hope you are getting on ok?
May 2023
10:48am, 31 May 2023
140 posts
  •  
ascoey
I could do with some upbeat stories of recovery. Currently in hospital after my 2nd PE.

Coming back from the first 5 years ago was tough and although I never recovered what speed I had, I was able to be happy with my progress and to enjoy many aspects of running.

Just feel a bit bleak at the moment I guess.
May 2023
10:50am, 31 May 2023
46,770 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Pal of mine had a double PE. He went back to being physically active. But he wasn't a runner. Cycling, walking etc. Sorry, can't help further. Best of luck with your recovery and return. :-) G
May 2023
11:45am, 31 May 2023
141 posts
  •  
ascoey
Thanks. That’s exactly the kind of reminder I need as this is probably the year I get on London on the ballot.
May 2023
12:00pm, 31 May 2023
20,494 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
cannot offer any advice ascoey but want to wish you a speedy and hopefully full recovery.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
What are peoples experiences returning to training after a Pulmonary Ebolism,Hospital said fine to r...