Pulling my Hair out

4 watchers
Jan 2012
4:08pm, 18 Jan 2012
377 posts
  •  
RoadRunner123
Recently been getting a spell of what i think is shin splints which is driving me absolutely nuts. From a diagram it looks like Posterior shin Splints. Have had to pretty much completely cut my running off and whats even worse i cant even do the exercise bike without pain. (pain comes after not during on bike) currently the muscle nearest where the pain is, is swollen.

Visited sweatshop in reading at the weekend and went on some crazy machine that took images of my posture in bare foot and the store attendant got me running up and down etc etc and he said they were fairly neutral if anything slightly towards the flat end on the spectrum but nothing to worry about. Furthermore when i ran he said my running style was very straight and neutral.

With that out of the way i decided to Google it and that's where it went wrong. If you are going to take anything away from this thread then here's some advice to anyone Google-ING an illness/injury ....don't do it. I have literally heard every remedy under the sun ranging from absurd all the way to witchcraft. Believe it or not some bright spark over the pond in America believes rolling a golf ball under your foot putting your body weight onto it is a 24-48hr cure. Obviously with me being so desperate i actually did this and besides looking like a tool it bloody hurt.

So, what is the point of this thread?? well mainly to vent a little of my frustrations and also to hopefully get some good sound advice from some sane Fetchies who have had shin splints and have genuine advice that doesn't involve golf balls, cauldrons, etc etc thanks n advance
Jan 2012
4:31pm, 18 Jan 2012
626 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Sorry can't help with the shin splints { luckily never had them } but will echo what you say about Googling injuries/illness - I am a total hypochondriac and this year alone I have self diagnosed ( through Google ) - stress fractures, several types of cancer, various dietry deficiencies, and the menopause! Btw I actually DON'T have ANY of these problems. Waht I do have however is a bad case of ' Doctor Google '.

Good luck and I hope you find someone sensible who can actually give you the answers to your problem and help you.
Jan 2012
8:38pm, 18 Jan 2012
62 posts
  •  
Krissie
I had shin splints a few years ago and toe raises, and walking accross a room on my heels (so with toes pointing upwards), and then repeating with toes pointing out and then in, really helped - strengthed the muscles around the shin bone or something I think.
Jan 2012
8:54pm, 18 Jan 2012
379 posts
  •  
RoadRunner123
I shall try that anything is better than the golf ball technique
Jan 2012
8:55pm, 18 Jan 2012
38,621 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Um
why dont you go and see an expert
Jan 2012
8:57pm, 18 Jan 2012
380 posts
  •  
RoadRunner123
Barely have the time at the moment in all honesty cant afford the time out of work
Jan 2012
9:00pm, 18 Jan 2012
38,622 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
okay

if it was me, I would need to run, so would make time, but each to own, and all that

(PS Physios and stuff work outside nine to five, dunno what you do but------)
may
Jan 2012
9:01pm, 18 Jan 2012
808 posts
  •  
may
...had shinsplints when I first started running so I know how it feels...wouldbe better to get expert opinion...out of interest have you came back into running from a break??also what is your background???nosey bugger eh : )
may
Jan 2012
9:02pm, 18 Jan 2012
809 posts
  •  
may
Meant to say running background: )
Jan 2012
9:05pm, 18 Jan 2012
381 posts
  •  
RoadRunner123
Well as you can see from my training log i haven't really been logging much of my running until the past few months but i always do at least 3-4 sessions a week including circuits,running etc

About This Thread

Maintained by RoadRunner123
Recently been getting a spell of what i think is shin splints which is driving me absolutely nuts. F...