Pulled calf muscle

6 watchers
Aug 2016
9:58am, 1 Aug 2016
952 posts
  •  
Scott S
I managed to injure my good calf on Saturday during a run (been my right one for over a year now that plays up although I can counter it on certain surfaces, paces etc. and as long as I don't try and stretch it, it's generally fine).

Nice and easy pace, no apparent problems running on a similar trail surface to normal and after 4-5 miles, I could feel some discomfort in my left calf. Changed my shoes from my Scott Kinubala (sp?) to my more cushioned Hokas and did another lap mixing walking and running. Wasn't improving so stopped after that to avoid any further damage.
Since then, it feels really tight to the point where I'm walking with a rigid leg, and it's uncomfortable when any pressure in applied or the calf is slightly flexed (seems to be middle of the calf and a little more comfortable if I turn my foot inwards when walking).

Only slight change I made to my routine was a gentle 5km run on footpaths in my Hokas a few days earlier.
Aug 2016
10:56am, 1 Aug 2016
32,451 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I've had 6 months continuing issue about 6/7 years ago I corrected by technique training.

I've also had small calf problems 1-2 weeks where I've been doing silly stuff like Saturday LSR, Sunday XC, Monday Circuits, Tuesday speed and bang.

So moral of story maintain by sports massage if legs feel trollied easy day or rest.

If it goes a week off and get expert treatment
Aug 2016
7:40pm, 1 Aug 2016
105 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Oh dear. Injured mine on thur -5 days ago? Still really can't put foot flat. Chippenham half in 4 weeks. Bournemouth start oct. doesn't sound like I'll be doing either. No real pain or bruises. But can't even shuffle. Sounds like will be a really long haul. Still in a state of shock
Aug 2016
9:03am, 2 Aug 2016
6,334 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Have you had any physio Serendippily? When I went to someone after a month she said if it happens again to see someone sooner as they can prevent some of the problems. I think if it's not better after a week that's the time to think about going.

My calf is still niggling me a bit. Haven't started running again and I really need to sort out that second appointment to get it checked over.
Aug 2016
10:50am, 2 Aug 2016
107 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Thank you little Nemo I will go to minor injuries tomorrow and then see if I can find some physio. Could put foot flat this morning which is progress. on 6th day now. X
Aug 2016
9:25am, 5 Aug 2016
121 posts
  •  
Serendippily
So much better day 8. Still not walking properly and both calf (?calves) sore but no longer panicking. Physio tonight so will post the exercises they recommend 2moro
Aug 2016
10:28am, 5 Aug 2016
9,015 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Just to echo what Little Nemo says - Mr AL tore his calf a few years ago and just let it heal by itself - then it caused problems again a year back and I persuaded him to see a physio - the new problems were a result of scar tissue and she told him off for not seeing her with the initial injury, dealing it with it last year was much more painful as a result!
Aug 2016
10:45am, 5 Aug 2016
12,009 posts
  •  
Dvorak
There are different muscles in the calf and quite a few forms of damage you can do them. So what's right for one may not be right for another.

For mine one time (self-diagnosed as soleus tear), not overstretching and eating plenty of beans worked (the beans were accidental, but serendipitous).
Aug 2016
11:48am, 5 Aug 2016
122 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I'm all for serendipity! Noted Dvorak I'll post with provisos! Got a nhs physio appt for 2 weeks time as well as today's private consultation. Hooray for hols was told it would be a 9 week lead time
Aug 2016
9:15pm, 5 Aug 2016
126 posts
  •  
Serendippily
So what I have learned / found out which you lot may already know ...

1) if it happens, Elevate elevate leg over heart, apply ice for 5 min every 4 hrs, rest as much as you can

2) avoid ibroprofen or compression bandages for first 72 hrs as the swelling is part of the firefighting and you don't want to inhibit it. Paracetamol better than ibruprofen at start
3) you may see no improvement and indeed, as I found, it may get worse day 1-4. I wish I'd gone to minor injuries earlier as they are really reassuring there and also checked it wasn't my Achilles

4) then oh miracles you start to see improvements. Physio a v good plan, thank you so much little nemo for the top tip. Seen her day 8 and she hasn't really given me any exercises she just massaged to disrupt the scar tissue and make sure I'm walking evenly. She was my docs recommendation and she was so good I'm going back next week

5) and amazingly the nhs has given me a physio appt within 2 weeks. Wow I'm lucky
Oh the glory and relief of being able to walk and knowing I can start driving again soon and in 3-4 weeks I may be back to gentle running. That was so scary. Thanks peeps

About This Thread

Maintained by Little Nemo
I pulled a muscle in my right calf 3 and a half weeks ago during a run. How long would it normally t...