Pulled calf muscle

6 watchers
May 2016
10:12am, 5 May 2016
6,188 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
I pulled a muscle in my right calf 3 and a half weeks ago during a run. How long would it normally take to recover from this?

I haven't tried running since and as my gym/physio exercises seem to aggravate it I've also put these on hold. I've done a few walks and a couple of swims and I'm now trying to rest it as much as possible. It mainly hurts when I'm going downstairs and when I'm pushing off on my right leg. It got v. sore again when I was walking home from the tube last night so I ended up having to get a bus for part of the way. I'm now going to try a few days of resting it as much as possible even though it's probably going to drive me mad to be doing so little.

Any useful tips for fixing it? At what point would it be sensible to see a physio or a doctor?

Cheers :-)
May 2016
10:21am, 5 May 2016
726 posts
  •  
larkim
It took me 5 weeks before I tried my first run after a calf tear, but I was cycling from about 2.5 weeks after the original injury. I don't recall doing anything specific during the recovery other than treating it by not running and keeping the compression bandage on it.

When I felt I might be able to go for a jog on it, I booked a physio appointment to give me the once over so that when i did finally hit the pavement again I had some confidence that a professional had given me the all clear.
May 2016
10:49am, 5 May 2016
6,189 posts
  •  
Thanks larkim

5 weeks :-( sounds like I'll need to be patient for a bit longer!

I haven't tried a compression bandage so I might give that a go.
May 2016
11:06am, 5 May 2016
45 posts
  •  
Claypole
I've found sports massage helpful in getting calves sorted.

That, rest from running and heel drop exercises on a step when not too sore

Good luck with it
:-)
May 2016
11:13am, 5 May 2016
348 posts
  •  
sinj999
I have been doing heel drop exercises. I couldn't walk properly for the first few days, but the calves soon get used to this. They are very boring though.
Light foam rolling as well.

If you have access to a gym, and they have an AMT machine, these are very good at simulating a running action. They are a bit like an elliptical trainer, but the stride length is adjustable by working the handles.
May 2016
11:16am, 5 May 2016
5,747 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Watching this thread with interest. Tweaked a calf last week but have started running again. Hurts a bit when I walk and go upstairs so handling with care at the moment. Don't fancy taking 5 weeks off though :-(
May 2016
11:29am, 5 May 2016
17,407 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I think you should see a physio sooner rather than later for a full diagnosis and advice re the correct exercises for your particular injury. I was out for over 6 weeks when I had problems.
May 2016
12:03pm, 5 May 2016
727 posts
  •  
larkim
Mine wasn't a tweak, definitely a tear - couldn't walk, needed a crutch from the minor injuries for the first 3 or 4 days, just to put the level into context. They didn't say what grade tear it was, but I don't think it was a particularly bad one. But it bruised up nicely.

There's so many different interpretations of a tweak / pull / tear etc. In my own experience, I wouldn't have been able to jog at all for even 3 weeks (not physically capable). It tore when I was doing some little leaps over small hurdles with some young athletes, and it felt as if I'd been whacked in the back of the leg by knocking over a hurdle, but when I looked around they were all still standing :-(
May 2016
12:49pm, 5 May 2016
6,190 posts
  •  
OK, probably not a tear as I can just about walk even when it's at its worst. Maybe it's one of those awkward injuries that you keep re-pulling as it's not possible to rest it completely.

Thanks for the additional replies. I already do heel drops as part of my physio stuff for my knee but maybe I need to do more of them.

I'm an old hand at using the elliptical cross-trainer thing as a running replacement, I can even go backwards with no hands B-)

I'll see if I can get a physio appointment as a sports massage might help and at least they can diagnose what it is and give me exercises for it. Having made some progress on getting back into running after my knee problems it seems sad to lose it all and to have to start from scratch again for the umpteenth time!

Hope your calf is OK bigleggy
May 2016
12:55pm, 5 May 2016
21,143 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Strengthen, don't stretch. Getting someone to "stick their thumb in it" might help too. Take it was when you start running again and it might tighten up

About This Thread

Maintained by Little Nemo
I pulled a muscle in my right calf 3 and a half weeks ago during a run. How long would it normally t...