Public transport poll

4 watchers
Oct 2021
10:40am, 13 Oct 2021
3,261 posts
  •  
Tom Tom
Same here, always get the train to London rather than drive. Greater Anglia are doing a deal shortly with off peak tickets £5 each way, so that may well tempt me into another trip! Usually use the trains for gigs as well, so I can have a drink.
Otherwise, it's Shanks's pony to work and back, now I'm back working in the same town I live in. My car doesn't see much action now aside from trips away.
Oct 2021
11:30am, 13 Oct 2021
55,345 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
On a train for the first time in ages. £5 day return. I couldn't park anywhere in the city for that cheap.
Oct 2021
11:54am, 13 Oct 2021
8,342 posts
  •  
sallykate
We're in London - zone 2 - and haven't owned a car since 2003. We hire if we need to go a long way for a holiday or something. I tend to walk if it's a couple of miles or less and I've not got a lot to carry, otherwise it's bus or train, bike or the occasional cab.
Oct 2021
12:11pm, 13 Oct 2021
23,990 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Car, cycle, run, walk.

Only used public transport for work (when they picked up the tab) and not at all since the pandemic. To be fair it's very limited out here in rural Suffolk

20 years of daily long commute (c1 hr 40mins train + to/from station at either end totalling 2.5-3 hours) have given me an aversion to public transport.

When I went WFH in 1998 it was the biggest pay rise and gain of leisure time I ever had.
Oct 2021
9:56am, 14 Oct 2021
21,344 posts
  •  
DeeGee
South Humberside suburban. 6 buses an hour to the town centre. £1.80 single or £3.60 for the day throughout the two towns. I regularly use buses, as do my family, however, the connections are poor for a journey to work so I drive daily.

I'm an hour by train to Doncaster from where trains can be caught to anywhere else in the country within one additional change.

Big fan of public transport if I'm on my own, less so as a whole family. Biggest issue for me is the lack of connections at the other end of the journey.
MsG
Oct 2021
10:05am, 14 Oct 2021
1,932 posts
  •  
MsG
I used to cycle to work 3 out of 5 days (min 13 miles each way). Since commuting to London (from Cambs) walk & train - 2 hours door to door *each* way.

Getting around Cambs is mostly by bike, walk or train. The buses are useless. A couple of times I got the bus to work from necessity. It took nearly 2 hours.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
I'm in the South East and don't use public transport. In two years time if I get a bus pass I will use it regularly!