Protein shake things or similar

3 watchers
Nov 2013
1:04pm, 19 Nov 2013
4,066 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
So my brother-in-law ran London this year. He's also a fireman so has spent many years being naturally fit. Did the marathon (his first and apparently last) in well under four hours.

Anyway he followed a basic plan etc etc but the one thing he swears by is the protein shakes he took after long training runs. In his words "I would physically not have been able to train and recover in time to do my job without them" and he's been banging on at me to use them for training.

I've basically ignored this, as in my head they are for bodybuilders and serious running types and I am neither of those. And yet this week I keep recalling our conversations.

No-one here uses them, right?
Nov 2013
1:06pm, 19 Nov 2013
11,001 posts
  •  
northernslowcoach
No, chocolate milk worked for me :)
Nov 2013
1:09pm, 19 Nov 2013
1,067 posts
  •  
Gaubfar
I have also been looking at protein shakes, the main reason being the continued weight loss when I up my training, which in turn makes it a longer process for me to recover after runs etc.

Do you know which one he used?
Nov 2013
1:11pm, 19 Nov 2013
5,564 posts
  •  
*Anj*
We drink For Goodness Shakes after a long run or race or a hardish session. Not sure if they do work but they taste nice :)
Nov 2013
1:11pm, 19 Nov 2013
28,177 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Loads of people here use them. But they're not necessary, it's just that some people who do a bit of jogging like to think that they're special people who need special food and pills.
Nov 2013
1:12pm, 19 Nov 2013
100 posts
  •  
Cog Niscencsme
Didn't used to bother but for the last couple of weeks I've been drinking a half bottle of chocolate fudge brownie Frijj after a run. I think it helps with recovery but its not a clear enough effect for me to be sure that its a real benefit. I'll try a week without when my current supply runs out.
Nov 2013
1:13pm, 19 Nov 2013
3,275 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I use recovery drinks rather than protein shakes. For Goodness Shakes are lovely, but if I don't have any in the house post long run, I knock up a milkshake using milk, tablespoon of yoghurt, a banana, some agave syrup and a handful of blueberries.

There was a study a couple of years ago that said chocolate milk, such as Yazoo, Frij or even Mars was just as good as bespoke recovery drink for carb / protein mix and mineral replenishment.
Nov 2013
1:13pm, 19 Nov 2013
10,568 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Everyone is different what worked for your brother in law might not suit you. I tend to eat real food after long runs.
Nov 2013
1:14pm, 19 Nov 2013
13,774 posts
  •  
*jono*
Hi Herman I used to drink protein and recovery shakes, buy the bloody big tubs of them. Anyway it came to buying a replacement tub and I thought *mmmmm, what with the recession and everything*

anyway I haven't used them since or anything else for that matter - no difference and I don't miss them. Some time ago Jess Ennis's coach was being interiewed on R4 and the subject of extra vitamins, protein was raised. He was firmly of the belief that a normal well balanced diet was required.

I think you have to do something pretty extreme in order to start thinking about taking extra protein's, sugars etc.

I'm still a shit runner but thats due to erm, genetics.
Nov 2013
1:17pm, 19 Nov 2013
348 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
My non-medical understanding is that the first 30-60 mins after hard exercise is the most important time to get the right amount of protein & carbs in to help the muscles start repairing themselves from the damage caused.

I do enjoy the taste of For Goodness Shakes chocolate flavour, but also read that a glass of milk and a cheese sandwich is just as good for you, and considerably cheaper.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
So my brother-in-law ran London this year. He's also a fireman so has spent many years being natura...