Proper Marathon Training

11 watchers
Nov 2013
9:01am, 19 Nov 2013
925 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Over the various threads and blogs I've visited in the past couple of months, there've been several comments about how things will be different when marathon training starts "properly" or "in earnest" - which most people seem to locate in the New Year (for VLM on 13th April).

As far as I'm concerned, I've been working towards the possibility of the marathon ever since I started running in April this year, and even more so since hearing in early September that I've got a place.

So I'm just wondering really what people think is going to be different. Maybe they mean they are going to start a 12/16/20 week marathon-specific training plan (I'm not intending doing that, btw). Or they're going to switch from lots of long slow running to including speed work (I am doing that, a bit). Or that they've been training with a focus on speed at 10K/half-marathon, whereas from January they will focus on adding endurance.

I think one of the things that confuses me is that people training for 10 K's and even half marathons are often advised to run over-distance. Not beginners, but improvers at those distances might be doing long runs of 15 miles or even more. And some marathon beginners won't do much more than 15 miles before race day. So you can't only look at the distance someone is running to determine what they are training for.

Surely, if *you* think you're training for a marathon, then you are. I am. I need all the time I can get to build up very gradually, so I don't suffer. It's theoretically possible to start training in January having run no more than 3 miles, and complete a marathon in April... but I don't fancy doing that!
Nov 2013
9:07am, 19 Nov 2013
24,069 posts
  •  
Old Croc
It may be the case that a lot of folks wait to New Year to start marathon specific training but until then many - yourself included? - are building base miles. The basic level of abiltiy / fitness required before you focus on a marathon - or any other specific distance for that matter.
Nov 2013
9:09am, 19 Nov 2013
12,832 posts
  •  
F is for Fleecy
But you haven't been running for very long, rev. You haven't had years to build up a solid endurance base like some people have. You haven't even done a half marathon yet have you? So yes, you need to start earlier than someone who has a good base, particularly if you want to avoid injury.
Nov 2013
9:10am, 19 Nov 2013
16,934 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Most of us are 'base building', generating aerobic capacity and getting in a position to run the mileage that we need to in order to achieve the target time.
Most of us can't keep up the volume all year (though some can), but just build in cycles. Until the 16-18 week cycle starts I am just building back up to the 50-60 mile weeks.

In terms of distance, you can easily run over distance for a 10k or half, recover quickly and get back to running the next day.
Running a marathon isn't like that, if you ran 28 miles on Sunday, you wouldn't be doing much on Monday or Tuesday. Most people peak at 20-22 as its what they can achieve without doing too much damage.

I am throwing in the odd 20 miler at the moment, but when I 'start' I will be doing one per week.
Loz
Nov 2013
9:30am, 19 Nov 2013
323 posts
  •  
Loz
Also don't worry about what other people are doing. Everyone has different fitness levels and methods of training. Some people will successfully run marathons on relatively short long runs but you have to do what is best for you and as a new runner just building up slowly is the key.

I know I would get fed up if I trained for a marathon for more than 3 months but that's me not you.
Nov 2013
9:38am, 19 Nov 2013
8,180 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
RevB, many club runners could run a marthon this weekend if they *had* to but the ones who do a spring and / or an autumn marathon switch the focus of their training towards the 26 mile event a few months before the race. I think your approach is great for someone in your position. I call it training to get fit for training. I'm not a big fan of schedules / training plans. They're often too inflexible for real life people with work, family, social committments etc
Nov 2013
9:40am, 19 Nov 2013
8,181 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
The other aspect of 'proper' training is mental preparation, which is often getting focused just to start the thing, never mind actually doing it i.e. getting in the correct frame of mind for marathoning
Nov 2013
9:42am, 19 Nov 2013
3,270 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Yes, theoretically it's possible to start training in January for a marathon in April, having not run further than 3 miles previously, but I've never met anyone who managed it. I met a couple who tried tho and ended up injured.
Nov 2013
10:14am, 19 Nov 2013
308 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Some would count 'proper' marathon training as when they start following a specific schedule - which for most people would be 12 - 16 weeks out.
Nov 2013
10:46am, 19 Nov 2013
927 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Fleecy - spot on (assuming the 3 half marathons I ran in the late 1980's don't count. Which they don't) :)

JO - I am definitely building in cycles - ramping up for 2-3 weeks, then taking it easier. I am staggered by the thought that you're "just" building up to 50-60 miles per week *before* you start your 16-18 week buildup. But I guess that's the difference between a seasoned ultra runner such as yourself and a newbie like me.

I had envisaged that by the end of November I would have reached 30 mpw, which I would maintain throughout December, then build again to 40-45 mpw by the peak in March. But the 30mpw by the end of November is starting to look a bit of a stretch, tbh. Maybe by Christmas.

With the level my long runs have reached so far (11.2 last Thursday), I'm finding I need to scale back my other runs, or it just leaves me too tired. Last week via a discussion somewhere on fetch, I picked up the rule of thumb that the long run should not exceed 50% of total weekly mileage, preferably less. I was approaching that last week (24 miles for the week) - so I need to watch that.

I also take the points about not being able to handle the volume all year round, and maintaining the mental focus. All good reasons, ISTM, why starting my buildup early was a good idea. It gives me wiggle room, so I can e.g. take a couple of weeks off over Christmas/New Year, cutting back to just a few shorter runs to keep my hand in, and then start building again in January.

Someone asked me the other day what I would do *after* the marathon - would I still bother with running? Well... insert choice of expletive here. of course I'll still run. But I probably won't run 20 miles. A nice 45-60 minutes, several times a week, will be just the ticket, methinks.

Oh, wait - I've entered a half marathon at the end of June....

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
Over the various threads and blogs I've visited in the past couple of months, there've been severa...