Procrastination beating tactics

11 watchers
Jan 2020
10:50pm, 14 Jan 2020
9,444 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Share your best ones, rather than the unrealistic ones offered by the gurus!

Particularly annoying are the ones that say "schedule a specific block x mins to do your task" (because it never takes x mins, but 3x+4y+z mins) - life just gets in the way.

I also don't like the morons who say get up early as being an early bird is so flipping wonderful. Well great. Unless your natural bodyclock is later in the day.

So, anyway what are realistic, helpful ones?!

(Not creating random threads on Fetch might be good).
Jan 2020
8:09am, 15 Jan 2020
48,283 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Put on your kit to prompt your body that you’re going out running
Put on your running playlist (RunnyBunny has done a study on this!)
Arrange to meet a friend
If you have to go out somewhere then run there
Get a bus/train and run home
Go out for just 5 minutes/1 mile and you’ll probably keep going
Run laps around the block
Jan 2020
8:10am, 15 Jan 2020
42,929 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Play WSW! It got me out of the house last night into a raging storm to do four squelchy miles!
Jan 2020
8:22am, 15 Jan 2020
4,104 posts
  •  
Raemond
Just for sportsing purposes, or fighting general procrastination?

I find a good one for house work is doing things while the kettle is boiling and the coffee is filtering, like loading /unloading the dishwasher or emptying the bin. Doesn't work on the washing up though, as that takes too long. I haven't found a cure for leaving washing up until it's cluttering half the worktop and blocking the kettle and then waiting a bit longer because every time it actively irritates me I'm in the process of doing something else already and don't want to (or can't) change tasks. If anyone can think of one I'd like to hear it.
Jan 2020
8:25am, 15 Jan 2020
48,284 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Wash up as you go! Wash up whilst dinner is cooking.

Running: post on a thread and wait for people to nag you out the door. The 700ers are very good nags!

Download some new music or new podcasts or an audio book you want to listen to. Saving the audiobook only for running is an evidence based tip!
Jan 2020
8:38am, 15 Jan 2020
42,932 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I wash up while people are eating. 'Give me your plate, you ****er!'
Jan 2020
8:57am, 15 Jan 2020
1,697 posts
  •  
cackleberry
General procrastination - set a timer for 15 mins. Do X-horrible task for those 15 mins. You'll be amazed at how much you can get done in that little bit of time.

Running procrastination - as Fleecy already mentioned, make a date to run with somebody.

Devise a challenge between you and a friend.
Book a race that scares the shit out of you (note, this one could backfire!!)

It has to be positive though, beating yourself up NEVER works.
Jan 2020
8:59am, 15 Jan 2020
1,698 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Raemond - thank god I'm not the only one who washes up when they've run out of plates...
Jan 2020
9:13am, 15 Jan 2020
1,046 posts
  •  
Dochart
promise yourself x minutes doing the displacement activity, but only after you have completed y minutes on the task you are avoiding. repeat until the task is complete.

neither x nor y should be large numbers. y * n = total time to complete task, and n can be quite a large number.
Jan 2020
12:05pm, 15 Jan 2020
9,445 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
"General procrastination - set a timer for 15 mins. Do X-horrible task for those 15 mins. You'll be amazed at how much you can get done in that little bit of time."

I've tried this. I'm really bad at it.

"promise yourself x minutes doing the displacement activity, but only after you have completed y minutes on the task you are avoiding. repeat until the task is complete."

I am also really bad at this as I tend to do y mins (not very well) on what I am avoiding, then plan x mins on displacement, but end up spending 10x on displacement.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
Share your best ones, rather than the unrealistic ones offered by the gurus!

Particularly annoyin...