Problem with Energy Gels

3 watchers
Sep 2015
3:22pm, 4 Sep 2015
17,484 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Was the previous occasion the only time you've had palpitations or the only time after having a gel?

I wouldn't have a gel before running, but then I don't use them at all. Your breakfast / snacking sounded fine to me
Sep 2015
4:03pm, 4 Sep 2015
1,397 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
Actually, DT I remembered this afternoon that I had a similar experience doing a 15 mile LSR last year. I tried munching some jelly babies after 11 miles. Must be the sugar rush thing that others have mentioned. Tiz a shame coz I really enjoy munching the jelly babies on a long run.
How much of taking on a gel or sugary treat on a long run is actually helping? Or is it more psychological?
Sep 2015
5:06pm, 4 Sep 2015
17,491 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Part of the reason I don't use them is I don't "believe" in them. A Mars bar, a pork pie or a sandwich yes, but a couple of teaspoons worth of snotty thick sugary goo? Not really. I do very little road running and no road races but found I could get down a Milky Way or a Finger of Fudge without losing too much momentum in the past
Sep 2015
6:47pm, 4 Sep 2015
3,055 posts
  •  
minardi.
Where do you keep these little bars of goodness without them melting everywhere?
Sep 2015
7:00pm, 4 Sep 2015
32,795 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sounds very like a dose of co-incidence to me.
Sep 2015
7:10pm, 4 Sep 2015
17,493 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Milky Ways went in a very small bum bag. They then melted with body heat and could be squidged out of the packaging not unlike a gel ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Seratonin
I had a weird experience yesterday.
I am 6 weeks into a HM training schedule and my session yesterd...