Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Problem with Asics Cumulus 17 trainers

4 watchers
Jun 2016
12:14pm, 29 Jun 2016
1128 posts
Surelynot
I have used Asics Gel Cumulus trainers for years and really like them. I have a running style where my big toes point upwards and over time, I get holes in the trainers due to this. I generally get around 500 miles of wear.

I replaced my last pair with Cumulus 17s and holes have appeared after around 80 miles. Start Fitness have responded to my complaint with lots of information to tell me about my runnign style and are offering to send them back to Asics. They are clear that I shouldn't expect a positive outcome due to my runnig style and the fact modern materials are less hard wearing etc.

A couple of questions for you Fetchies:

- Has anyone else had this problem with this model and did you get much joy in getting a replacement/refund
- Does anyone have this running style and have you found a neutral shoe that is tough enough to not develop holes after 80 miles wear?

I'm going to send them back but this is disappointing.
Jun 2016
1:59pm, 29 Jun 2016
5829 posts
bigleggy
No particular experience but you are protected under the Consumer Rights act 2015

Fit for purpose : The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.

One would assume that any runner and Asics themselves would expect a pair of running shoes to last longer than 80miles

which.co.uk
Jun 2016
8:38pm, 29 Jun 2016
344 posts
Daz Love
I had a pair of Kayano 21s for 6-7 months, no issues, 'upgraded' to 22s and had no end of issues - Blisters, not comfortable and then been out injured for 4 months (which I put in some way down to the shoes)

I got these from Start Fitness and had only done around 70-80 miles in them and they would not take back (it was over a month as I kept switching back to the 21's due to blisters)

They also offered me the option to send back to Asics but made it difficult!

I ended up getting the Cumulus 17s and they have been fine!!

I took a hit and flogged the 22s on EBay, someone got a bargain as I lost about 55 quid in 28 days!!
Jun 2016
8:38pm, 29 Jun 2016
345 posts
Daz Love
I had a pair of Kayano 21s for 6-7 months, no issues, 'upgraded' to 22s and had no end of issues - Blisters, not comfortable and then been out injured for 4 months (which I put in some way down to the shoes)

I got these from Start Fitness and had only done around 70-80 miles in them and they would not take back (it was over a month as I kept switching back to the 21's due to blisters)

They also offered me the option to send back to Asics but made it difficult!

I ended up getting the Cumulus 17s and they have been fine!!

I took a hit and flogged the 22s on EBay, someone got a bargain as I lost about 55 quid in 28 days!!
Jun 2016
9:43pm, 29 Jun 2016
1251 posts
philbo
I used to run in Cumulus till they started to mess around with them, all of them ended up with holes in the toe box , I started using gaffer tape on the inside problem solved , I recently bought pair of Brooks Glycerin 12, holes in the toe box after 100 miles or so ,they now have gaffer tape inside them .
Jun 2016
10:27pm, 29 Jun 2016
346 posts
Daz Love
I had the Brooks Glycerin 11 and they lasted a fair while but did get holes in the box eventually. Got decent use out of them though (c650 miles)
Jul 2016
12:34am, 1 Jul 2016
1130 posts
Surelynot
Thanks all. Looks like tape or an angle grinder for my toes.
Jul 2016
8:59am, 1 Jul 2016
2856 posts
Old Man
I have exactly the same problem with cumulus and nimbus and indeed the occasional other brands I try. It starts to show around 300 miles and will be a proper hole by 500 miles

It's caused by the little bit of material they put over the toe box not being big enough as you should have extra space in the toe box to avoid black nails

In your case Surelynot, there must be a further problem withT shoe if you have really only done 80 miles. Your contract is with SF not Asics, they should exchange them and sort it out with Asics, that's what your local running shop would have to do
Jul 2016
1:58pm, 1 Jul 2016
1132 posts
Surelynot
Thanks OM - I've been busy at work but I am going to pursue this with Start Fitness.

I think Asics have changed the design and this is the problem. I can't be changing shoes every three or four weeks.
Aug 2016
7:12pm, 1 Aug 2016
1152 posts
Surelynot
Happy conclusion to this. Shoes replaced and seem to be OK for now.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surelynot
I have used Asics Gel Cumulus trainers for years and really like them. I have a running style where ...