Problem with Asics Cumulus 17 trainers

4 watchers
Aug 2016
12:41am, 4 Aug 2016
2,896 posts
  •  
Old Man
That's good Surleynot

Out of interest who replaced them, Asics or Start Fitness?
Aug 2016
12:09pm, 4 Aug 2016
1,156 posts
  •  
Surelynot
It was Start Fitness, OM. They were very good about it, despite their intial 'this does not constitute faulty goods' apporach. I was offered a full refund or a replacement.
Aug 2016
7:52pm, 4 Aug 2016
2,898 posts
  •  
Old Man
Thanks, I use SF a lot and recommend them to others and have always been impressed, but have never had cause to return anything so it's helpful to know that in the event that I did have to (and it was not unreasonable) they would assist

It shouldn't be a problem to them anyway, given the volume they must shift, they will in turn just return them to Asics for a refund from them
Aug 2016
9:55pm, 4 Aug 2016
10,414 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive worm cumulus since 2009 and they have served me well. I have 2 pairs on the go right now, one approaching 500 miles (I usually retire around 600 miles) and they are going fine. However the 2nd pair started to show holes in the big toe area around 250 miles and now approaching 300 the holes are getting bigger. They are fineto run in and I did 10 miles in them tonight, but I am worried
Aug 2016
9:52am, 5 Aug 2016
1,159 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Bazo - my experience has been similar in that I expect holes due to the claws that calll themselves big toenails and my big toes lifting up when I run. But I generally get to the 450-500 mile mark.

The pair i returned got hole sin after 80-100 miles and I feared the holes would just get bigger. I compared my Cumulus 16's to the 17's for build around the toe box area an dthe 17's are definitley much less robust.

SF were very good after I'd returned the goods and fair play to them.
Aug 2016
5:37pm, 12 Aug 2016
10,425 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Toe box in the older pair starting to go now as well but they are close to 500 miles now. Not sure if I should buy another pair
Aug 2016
8:02pm, 12 Aug 2016
4,685 posts
  •  
Cuddy
I've worn Asics Gel Foundation and Gel Kayanos, end up also wearing through with my big toe, all but the final mesh top layer. Amusing when you wear bright coloured socks.
Aug 2016
10:46am, 15 Aug 2016
1,165 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Bazo - I've taken to taping the inside of the toe box which seems to be working fine. I'm not aware of this when running.

I've been on a few runs of various lengths and the 17s feel a little tighter across the laces - even if loosened off a bit.

I am looking for alternatives when I come to replace these.

Cuddy - it's even more amusing if you have a hole in your sock as well!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surelynot
I have used Asics Gel Cumulus trainers for years and really like them. I have a running style where ...