Pro cycling thread

6 lurkers | 77 watchers
Nov 2020
2:32pm, 12 Nov 2020
12,657 posts
  •  
larkim
A lot more people race bikes than race motors of any sort, so you'd expect cyclist deaths to be higher. My point was though that that cyclists are fragile and exposed to risk at high speed, so balancing off that danger caused by competitors vs the real risk of injury was where I was musing.
Nov 2020
3:15pm, 12 Nov 2020
71,963 posts
  •  
Gobi
okay I think we have gone away from the matter at hand really

People play sport, people die , sometimes they are related

We still have an issue where the punishment doesnt fit the crime
Nov 2020
3:32pm, 12 Nov 2020
2,039 posts
  •  
Cheg
It is an interesting one, I have toyed with the idea of you injury someone in Football you should be banned for as long as they are out. But there are so many issues with that, it wouldn't work.

A very tame looking foul can lead to a guy being out for a year, whilst a shocking two footed tackle and the guy can get up and walk it off.

In terms of the cycling I would definitely defer to Gobi's expertise. If you were to give 3 month or more bans for a deviation in line we would have a much reduced spectacle with half the world's best on the sidelines.
Nov 2020
3:37pm, 12 Nov 2020
71,964 posts
  •  
Gobi
Cheg - I broke a goalies leg in 6 places , he kicked me in the knee when I was running full pelt. His team spent the rest of the half trying to break me in 2 before my coach took me off to save me.

I believe my knee ended his career :¬(
Nov 2020
3:47pm, 12 Nov 2020
2,040 posts
  •  
Cheg
Ooh ouch on both sides. Glad you survived the revenge attacks.

My brother went in for a 50/50 tackle at school nothing wrong on either side. He walked off and the other poor kid broke his leg and got airlifted to hospital. My brother was proud as anything of his indestructible body.
SPR
Nov 2020
5:10pm, 12 Nov 2020
32,183 posts
  •  
SPR
And that's why I avoid football. Basketball seems safer from that perspective.

"If you were to give 3 month or more bans for a deviation in line we would have a much reduced spectacle with half the world's best on the sidelines."

Or people would need to stop deviating? Not saying that's the right course of action but clear rules likely change riders behaviour. I can't actually remember anyone getting anything more than a DQ in a sprint so maybe the risk/ reward balance is too much on the reward side.

Like the fouls in football people say aren't worth a penalty cos they happen all the time?

Presumably we all agree that Groenewegen went past deviation and the shoulder barge into the barriers is something we don't want riders doing?
Nov 2020
10:20pm, 12 Nov 2020
71,966 posts
  •  
Gobi
I shall once more refer you to my previous comment , put out 1000 plus watts and attempt to look around and hold your line

SPR - Bennet was done for a barge (DQ only)

Sagan took out CAV , was kicked out of the race , nothing more
Nov 2020
10:37am, 13 Nov 2020
319 posts
  •  
Big_G
Chris Horner's take on the Tour of Poland crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkuBiTIfi80
Nov 2020
9:29am, 15 Nov 2020
320 posts
  •  
Big_G
A behind the scenes look at Vuelta from Jumbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aHuolgTbYU
SPR
Nov 2020
9:45am, 15 Nov 2020
32,188 posts
  •  
SPR
I think Horner was spot on re crash.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Somewhere to discuss pro cycling all year round.

Velogames Fetch Fantasy League (Use this for any race):
velogames.com
League Name: Fetch Fantasy 2023
League Code: 304362819

Road CC All Season Fantasy League: fantasy.road.cc
Fetcheveryone Fantasy League number: 75467

All Season Fantasy Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=44169

Old Spring Classics Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53002

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.