Pro cycling thread

77 watchers
Sep 2020
6:21am, 17 Sep 2020
71,433 posts
  •  
Gobi
I was quick out the blocks and solid but with GVA and Allaphillipe under performing I'm toast
Sep 2020
9:06am, 17 Sep 2020
5,365 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
I think the loss of Ellingworth and Portal at Ineos has had a greater effect than perhaps anyone has realised.
This, coupled with what I suspect was a looser approach to monitoring during lockdown compared to other teams, has put Ineos on the backfoot as races started again. Ellingworth would have been all over his team members, supporting, encouraging and cajoling. The team have missed that
Everyone missed the usual build up post Paris Nice towards the Tour and even if they trained hard the omission of racing stress has affected teams.
Bodies had become accustomed to year in year out racing recovery training at specific points in the year and lockdown has disrupted those specific periods. Some teams adapted well, Jumbo in particular, but others less well.
This failure to adapt, plus the individual changes at Ineos, have shown the planning and coping strategies have been widely different, bringing benefits to some and not others.
All my opinion of course, who really knows.

Bernal, s issues go back to his crash in January, I reckon, insufficient recovery, huge training load during lockdown and Dauphine crash on same part of body, insufficient time to rehab before the Tour.
Sep 2020
9:23am, 17 Sep 2020
16,590 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Today is a very interesting stage, as the Col de Saisies and Aravis featured in a very similar stage near the end of the Tour de france in 2006, when they let the breakaway go over very hilly territory... and when it got 20 minutes away the peloton started panicking, as one of the riders Oscar Pereiro was less than 20 minutes off yellow... They chased and couldn't back enough time. Landis was 8 minutes back. Of course Landis loaded up on drugs the next day and took 7 minutes back, and then "won it" in the final time trial. I don't expect anything similar - Jumbo Visma (and indeed all the major teams) are too well drilled, but a nice echo to remind us, not everything is done and dusted yet.
Sep 2020
9:24am, 17 Sep 2020
21,970 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Can’t disagree with any of that Chrisull.

I also wonder if there’s a bit of over-engineering/over confidence re the 3 GT’s running concurrently. Ineos may have spread resources to give G and CF real shots, whereas JV look to have gone all in for the TdF, forget anything else.

Ineos’s roster may be a little deeper outside the current TdF squads, compared to others?. If they were undercooked early then they should come into form for the other GTs.

G may well have got lucky.
SPR
Sep 2020
9:28am, 17 Sep 2020
31,403 posts
  •  
SPR
I think Ineos picked what they thought was their strongest team for the Tour. There's no one obviously better they haven't picked. Thomas and Froome would have been in the Tour team if they had shown the form in the build up races. If anything as Gobi said yesterday, they panicked rather than showed overconfidence.
SPR
Sep 2020
4:17pm, 17 Sep 2020
31,410 posts
  •  
SPR
Ineos doing a salvage job and Carapaz has looked pretty good over the past three days. I don't remember Carapaz crashing early but I do remember Sivakov did which affected him.

Kwiatkowski should get the stage here.
SPR
Sep 2020
4:20pm, 17 Sep 2020
31,411 posts
  •  
SPR
Job done. Kwiatkowski was the right choice for all the work he's done over the years.
Sep 2020
8:11pm, 17 Sep 2020
1,950 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Away from the Tour, van Vleuten has broken her wrist so is out of Giro Rosa and also Worlds. Was looking forward to seeing how other nations were going to try and thwart her and the rest of a really strong Dutch team. ☹️
SPR
Sep 2020
8:16pm, 17 Sep 2020
31,416 posts
  •  
SPR
Disappointing. She was on great form as well.
Sep 2020
9:07pm, 17 Sep 2020
1,951 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
She was riding well, but not looking as unbeatable as last year, so it would have made for a great race.

We may still get a great one; ELB has been looking very aggressive recently, and AVdB has been relatively quiet but strong. They're probably my favourites for the title, but it's really quite open.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Somewhere to discuss pro cycling all year round.

Velogames Fetch Fantasy League (Use this for any race):
velogames.com
League Name: Fetch Fantasy 2023
League Code: 304362819

Road CC All Season Fantasy League: fantasy.road.cc
Fetcheveryone Fantasy League number: 75467

All Season Fantasy Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=44169

Old Spring Classics Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53002

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.