Pro cycling thread

77 watchers
Sep 2022
11:22pm, 11 Sep 2022
61 posts
  •  
No Lycra Allowed (Jase)
Congrats Pothunter

Happy with 5th as I lost 4 riders with Covid, and Froome was a sentimental pick.
Sep 2022
7:32am, 12 Sep 2022
1,961 posts
  •  
Big_G
Well done Pothunter.
Sep 2022
8:48am, 12 Sep 2022
24,883 posts
  •  
Ness
Well done, pothunter.

I came 3rd in the league! Don't know how that happened. Hadn't played one of these games before.
Sep 2022
8:53am, 12 Sep 2022
18,934 posts
  •  
larkim
Do British pros ride with a left hand rear brake? Thought just occured to me this morning that it would be unnerving getting a bike off the roof from a team car to find the brakes the "wrong way round".
Sep 2022
9:01am, 12 Sep 2022
1,815 posts
  •  
Gromit
Its funny i had never realised that the brakes were a different way round in different parts of the world until i chatted with an Australian couple riding up Ventoux a few weeks ago who commented that they were looking forward to going back down in case they forgot the brakes were the "wrong way round" :-)
Sep 2022
9:45am, 12 Sep 2022
1,962 posts
  •  
Big_G
I don’t know if it’s the same for all teams, but in TdF there was some discussion about placement of bikes on the roof of the JV car, in relation to the status of the rider within the team, and the ease/speed of the mechanic to get the bike off the roof. So I was wondering if each rider as their own spare bike, which is always at a certain point on the roof? I don’t know though, and what I’ve just written doesn’t answer the question about left hand rear brakes in any case :)
Sep 2022
9:56am, 12 Sep 2022
18,935 posts
  •  
larkim
Having driven a left hand drive car for a long time on UK roads (and swapped back and forth daily into a RH drive), it wasn't an issue so I know people are quite adaptable. But I'd find it harder to adapt to left foot braking / accelerating in a car I think.
Sep 2022
10:14am, 12 Sep 2022
77,936 posts
  •  
Gobi
Sucked at TOB and Vuelta - illness cost me bad
Sep 2022
10:50am, 12 Sep 2022
2,290 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Brakes can be personal, but I've heard suggestions it's not uncommon for GB riders to shift to a left hand front setup in case they ever need a neutral bike or to swap with a team mate (esp team leader).
Sep 2022
10:58am, 12 Sep 2022
18,939 posts
  •  
larkim
Makes sense. In years gone by riders would have spent years on the continent with minor teams so I guess they'd spend a few months swapping over just to make bike maintenance easier!

Harder to tell these days with concealed cable routing, but I've tried to answer my own question by taking a look at some of the GB riders' bikes where the cables are visible, and it does look like Yates and Froome have their left lever mapped to their front brake. Froome of course didn't grow up here, but Yates would have ridden around the same roads as me up in Bury.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Somewhere to discuss pro cycling all year round.

Velogames Fetch Fantasy League (Use this for any race):
velogames.com
League Name: Fetch Fantasy 2023
League Code: 304362819

Road CC All Season Fantasy League: fantasy.road.cc
Fetcheveryone Fantasy League number: 75467

All Season Fantasy Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=44169

Old Spring Classics Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53002

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.