SPR
Winning velogames team: velogames.com
SPR
31 Jul
9:12pm, 31 Jul 2022
37826 posts
  •  
SPR
I think the finish was fine. There's no reason why the men couldn't finish there (and they've ridden it before) other than they have a 'ceremonial' last stage.

The penultimate stage TT finished there in 2020.
jda
31 Jul
9:18pm, 31 Jul 2022
13106 posts
  •  
jda
I thought it was only very recently that the men used the final gravel section at the top. I'm pretty sure that TT ended on tarmac, I remember watching it (on TV).
SPR
31 Jul
9:36pm, 31 Jul 2022
37828 posts
  •  
SPR
You're right, I wonder if I confusing it with the gravel climb that's been used in the Giro a few times.
31 Jul
9:53pm, 31 Jul 2022
2266 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
This year was the first time it's used the gravel finish, I'm pretty sure (I'll check the Road book tomorrow).

I don't recall any other UCI road races with gravel finishes but I don't think it particularly detracts from the event to do so. If it was flatter it may be less safe, but the speeds are so slow at that point, it just creates a good spectacle.
31 Jul
10:04pm, 31 Jul 2022
22850 posts
  •  
Meglet
I think the men have used the gravel finish twice? But also the tarmac finish once or twice as well as the TT.

24% is incredibly steep, those riders could barely push the pedals over the line, and the moto lost grip while going slowly and just toppled over!
SPR
31 Jul
10:09pm, 31 Jul 2022
37829 posts
  •  
SPR
Probably Colle delle Finestre I was remembering but that hasn't been at the end of a stage from what I can see and not sure whether the gravel goes all the way up.
SPR
31 Jul
10:11pm, 31 Jul 2022
37830 posts
  •  
SPR
Good memory Meg. This suggests 2019 was the first time it was used.

cyclingweekly.com
1 Aug
12:39am, 1 Aug 2022
2267 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I stand corrected. Thanks Meg.
1 Aug
7:44am, 1 Aug 2022
8259 posts
  •  
Dave W
Lot better race yesterday, and a fitting winner again. She's just the best at climbing.
Glad that Demi Vollering hung on for second, and Kasia for third. Well done to them, and well done to everyone who finished, or participated along the way.
I think that one of two things might need a tweak along the way. The bonus seconds on the climbing ended up being rather superfluous, and they may want to chuck in a TT at one point, but otherwise I think it was a great start.
Well done to Zwift for their continued sponsorship.

I think this will be a springboard for even more professionals in the sport, and then the gaps in performance will come down, and make the racing even more exciting.

Great race, and not before time.
Well done ladies. Chapeau..

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Somewhere to discuss pro cycling all year round. If we create race threads, I'll try and keep the header updated with them so people can use this thread to navigate.

Inrng Giro Guide: inrng.com
Inrng Tour Guide: inrng.com

Velogames Fetch Fantasy League (Use this for any race):
velogames.com
League Name: Fetch Fantasy 2022
League Code: 650306418

Road CC All Season Fantasy League: fantasy.road.cc
Fetcheveryone Fantasy League number: 75467

All Season Fantasy Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=44169

Old Spring Classics Thread (No Longer Used): fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=53002

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.