Price of Milk

4 watchers
Nov 2016
4:11pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,199 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Even I remember non-homogenised milk! *feels old* It was much better.
Nov 2016
4:11pm, 22 Nov 2016
10,350 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I thought you LIKED clotted cream, Vrap? ;-)
Nov 2016
4:15pm, 22 Nov 2016
10,351 posts
  •  
Sharkie
What I do remember and thought was completely hideous, especially when it arrived unannounced in cups of tea was sterilised milk. Don't think I encountered it after I left home and started drinking coffee instead of tea anyway.

Mind you only common people had sterilised milk. ;-)
Nov 2016
4:17pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,200 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Is that like UHT Sharkie? That stuff is nasty, especially in tea.
Nov 2016
4:19pm, 22 Nov 2016
2,953 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
My gran had sterilised milk! She's the only person I've ever known to buy it. She got it because she didn't have a fridge and it kept better. It's something I associate with childhood visits, also the only times I ever went on a council estate and played with the rough kids in the street. Happy days!
Nov 2016
4:20pm, 22 Nov 2016
2,954 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
Completely different to UHT, cackleberry
Nov 2016
4:21pm, 22 Nov 2016
34,902 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I love clotted cream, and am comfortable with cream that's been whipped till it can be eaten with a fork, but I don't like thick milk or liquid cream. And the cream from the top of the bottle looked as if it had a funny smell and left little blobs on the underside of the lid. The other kids at school could gross me out by licking those little blobs off.
Nov 2016
4:25pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,201 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Ah right, don't think I have experienced sterilised milk in that case.

I like everything from normal (full fat!) milk through to clotted cream, and sour cream.
Yum yum yum.

I'd fade away if I had to give up dairy.
Nov 2016
4:47pm, 22 Nov 2016
4,963 posts
  •  
Winded
Hmmmmm I should probably admit at this point that various members of my family are farmers & as a kid I shared space with many friesians.

I say that so this anecdote isn't too weird. You talk about fabulous milk? Well not long after meeting Mrs W she was at my dad's and it was just after calving time. So close to the (block) calving that the milk was not yet going off to in a tanker. (To start with it gets thrown away due to colostrum content). Naturally a little thing like that doesn't make farmers go and buy milk for their coffee or cereal - it went OK until my brother popped round on day 2 and asked my vegetarian girlfriend "how are you getting on with the pink milk?" She'd had quite a lot of white coffee by then; possibly cornflakes too - I don't remember.
Nov 2016
5:05pm, 22 Nov 2016
10,352 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Tee hee, Winded.

And isn't cows' colostrum now marketed as a wonder product for athletes or something? I know it is and I don't believe it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Keefy Beefy
I just paid £1 for 4 pints in Tesco. The Beeb says it was 23p a pint in 1986. Pretty amazing - and ...