Preventing Food Waste Ideas

27 watchers
Jan 2017
9:14am, 4 Jan 2017
10,743 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Agree with V-rap. Roast veg in the fridge sounds a bad idea anyway as it's far nicer eaten at room temperature.

There are things it WOULD be sensible to have a big pot of in the fridge for a few days family meals - cooked Puy or similar lentils for instance - but I don't see it with roast vegetables.

Possibly, just possibly, some root ones. At a pinch.
Jan 2017
9:32am, 4 Jan 2017
19,693 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Roast veg goes soggy very quickly I find and becomes unappetising.

I tend to, on Sunday evenings, prepare the following:

A soup such as leek & pot, leek & chick pea, minestrone or Chinese chicken (3 days worth)
A dal or khicheri
Some cooked rice for congee or stir-fried rice.

I don't get home from work until 6pm, so I need to be ready to go with food up until Weds with stuff for lunch.
Jan 2017
10:07pm, 12 Jan 2017
19,752 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
OK - tonight I made stewed spicy Mauritian squash.

I cooked with 2 different types of squash, including the skin as usual. I needed to mash the squash, so drained off some of the lovely sauce as it would have been v watery and I need to take it to work for lunch. I've also got some steaming water from the broccoli and carrots I had for tea. Tomorrow I'll combine these into a stock, along with some aquafaba from a tin of chick peas I opened at work. I keep glass jars at work to take any left-overs home.
Mar 2017
6:28pm, 9 Mar 2017
11,452 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but I've been saving the chopped off ends of vegetables (onions, carrot, leek, parsnip, celery) in a bag in the freezer for a while until I had a good amount.

Today I chopped off the soft bits of two onions gone past their best and added some woody rosemary from the garden and a couple of garlic cloves, put it all in a pan with the frozen bits and made stock.
Afterwards the veg ends will go in the compost bin - nothing wasted.
Mar 2017
9:10am, 10 Mar 2017
5,115 posts
  •  
Red Ant
That's a great idea Carp - thanks :)
Mar 2017
11:46am, 29 Mar 2017
4,776 posts
  •  
icemaiden
We are not very good at eating up citrus fruit in our house. I buy oranges and little clementines or satsumas but no one eats them voluntarily so often they end up dried up in the fruit bowl. But no longer. I found a cake recipe on the Lovefoodhatewaste site. lovefoodhatewaste.com

You boil the fruit to soften it and blend it so all the peel is used. I made one today and tarted it up with a syrup of orange juice, sugar and Grand Marnier.
Mar 2017
11:52am, 29 Mar 2017
7,431 posts
  •  
lammo
Four "over ripe" bananas were turned into cakes in our house last night, yummy :-)
Mar 2017
1:22pm, 29 Mar 2017
11,580 posts
  •  
Carpathius
A really awesome one - pan dinner can be made with oranges.

Peel thick slices of the rind off the orange with a potato peeler or something like that.

Juice the orange.
Put chicken thighs or drumsticks or both in an oven pan with a little bit of oil, add small potatoes, whole peeled shallots and whole garlic cloves, add the peel, fresh rosemary and zest of whatever is left of the orange. (Other vegetables are available. Squash is particularly good roasted)
Cook in oven for about an hour, turning stuff a couple of times.
Add orange juice for last ten minutes of cooking time then when you dish it up, mix the chicken juices and the orange juice which is in the bottom of the pan and use as a very orangey sauce.
Mar 2017
3:18pm, 29 Mar 2017
4,777 posts
  •  
icemaiden
The teenboy won't go near stuff like that, too much rogue veg mooshing about. He will do straightforward stew and pick out anything he can identify as veg. So looking forward to him growing out of fussiness.
Nov 2019
9:45am, 5 Nov 2019
3 posts
  •  
Ligi
Has anyone joined the olioex.com ? I listened to a podcast where the founder of Olio explained the idea behind the app. It sounds super easy and i'm willing to give it a go :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
A thread for tips and ideas on how to save food waste.

Whether you're concerned about the enviro...